[3830] CaQP AI6DO SO(A) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ai6do@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP AI6DO SO(A) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 22:36:56 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2022

Call: AI6DO
Operator(s): AI6DO
Station: AI6DO

Class: SO(A) QRP
QTH: LAX

   10:    8
--------------------
Total:  187     0  Mults = 42  Total Score = 23,436

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

My old laptop died just after completing one QSO in the Hawaii QSO Party in
August, but its replacement was ready just in time for CQP. Operated about 4.5
hours on Saturday starting on the high bands just before noon. As expected,
being near the beginning of the contest and operating QRP on minimal
non-resonant antennas with high local noise on 20 meters, performance was meh up
until the antenna registered infinite SWR. After a couple hours of
troubleshooting, the antenna eventually started working again on its own. I
guess it was on strike or something. As usual, 40 meters was my money band from
late afternoon through late evening, with low noise most of the time.

Got a late start on Sunday and found little traction when calling CQ on 10 and
20 meters, so 15 meters was again my daylight money band. A few multipliers
trickled in near the end of the contest period as I CQed on 20 meters, and in
the last few minutes before the bell I abandoned my frequency to try to snatch a
few more loud local QSOs.

The laptop worked well, more or less, barring user error. Many times, I hit the
Fx button instead of the x number button, which of course starts sending a
message right when I'm trying to type something in. Also had a lot more
difficulty than usual moving and resizing N1MM Logger+ windows. As usual, I
operated Assisted primarily to see if, when, and how well I was getting out when
calling CQ. Managed to populate my bandmap with spots from the cluster, but as
usual, couldn't hear any of them. It would be nice if we could filter spots
based on signal strength...

KX3 at 5 watts, fan dipole resonant on 20, 40, and 80 meters.