[3830] CQ WW RTTY N8URE SO(A)SB20 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY N8URE SO(A)SB20 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 00:56:01 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2022

Call: N8URE
Operator(s): N8URE
Station: N8URE

Class: SO(A)SB20 QRP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs):

   20:  174      32      42    14
-----------------------------------
Total:  174      32      42    14  Total Score = 30,184

What a fun contest this weekend! I set out with the goal of beating the W3
record for this category, and it looks like I might have beaten the US record
(which is for some reason much lower than the unassisted category). Conditions
were great every afternoon, especially Sunday. There were only a few countries I
heard that I couldn't work, including Iceland and Isle of Man, which would have
been new for me.

Some notes:

As expected when QRP, many stations did not get my call right the first time.
The most common problem was dropping the E at the end. Probably 3/4 of the
stations corrected it when I sent it a second time, but others would not budge.
Some of those I ended up working again successfully later.

There were also plenty of repeats for zone and state, and I found that writing
out the state name helped.

One station had terrible signals with sidebands all over. I couldn't figure out
why someone was running with 340 Hz bandwidth until I noticed it was correlated
with someone's real signal. Two stations were dropping the last character of
their transmission.

On Sunday night all the South American stations had a strange flutter making
decoding difficult despite strong signals. Whatever it was must have been high
frequency because by eye the signals looked fine on the waterfall.

Rig: RS-HFIQ radio, 20 m dipole, fldigi.