[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KG9OV/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, contest@kg9ov.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF KG9OV/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 02:36:12 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  223    79  Total Score = 21,804

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

No major changes to the rover setup since the last outing (CQWW).  A little
tidying up of the cabling, added a VESA mount for one of the computer
displays in the operating position, and probably a couple other minor things
that I have forgotten about.  There are still improvements to be made to
the setup, but life seems to be getting in the way lately.

Leading up to contest weekend, the weatherman again was predicting poor
weather in many of the spots I have frequented in the last several contests.
So, I began to plan my route around trying to avoid as much rainy weather
as I could.  With that in mind, the EN40-EN50-EM49-EM59 corner looked like
it would have pretty good weather on Saturday.  This would again be a new
corner that I had not been to in the past, but I found several spots via
Google Maps that looked viable to operate from.  For Sunday, I decided to
head to Taum Sauk Mountain in EM47.  This is the highest point in MO, is
another spot that I've had on my list to visit with the rover, and weather
looked like it would be decent from mid-morning on for Sunday.

Since the first grid corner is relatively close to home, there was no issue
getting there early to scope out a couple operating locations prior to the
start of the contest.  So, after doing just that, I still had plenty of time
to get setup and lounge around a bit at my first spot.

As was expected based on the days/weeks before the contest, 6m was all but
dead propagation wise.  That fact did seem to breath a little more life into
the upper bands though.  Since 6m was dead, the day was spent mostly working
the usual suspects within a couple hundred mile radius.  After spending a
couple hours in each of EN50, EN40, and EM49,  I decided to head towards
home and make a stop at a rest area on the interstate to hit EM59.  That
plan almost backfired when I started heading south and there was a sky
full of lightning in front of me.  Turns out the bulk of the weather was
still south of my planned stop at the rest area though, so it all worked out.
I pulled in, got setup, and operated for about an hour before continuing on
home for the night.  The drive home however, that was an adventure.  Rain,
rain, and more rain.

The rain was supposed to continue until about mid morning on Sunday, so
again I was in no big hurry to get out the door.  After a pretty wet drive,
I arrived at the top of Taum Sauk Mountain, found myself a parking spot, and
got setup.  By that time the rain had stopped though, and the sky was
starting to clear.  By early afternoon it was absolutely beautiful out. I
couldn't have asked for better conditions to be out playing portable radio!
I'll take windows down / doors open and taking in the fresh air over having
to run the van to get A/C any day of the week.  Though 6m was still dead,
the elevation of Taum Sauk made for some interesting Qs on the higher bands
and a generally enjoyable afternoon.

I wanted to get back down off the mountain before the sun started to set
so I could still see the antenna killers that were hanging over the gravel
road leading to the top.  So, I started packing up and headed down around
6pm local.  That gave me time to drive home and setup in a school parking
lot a couple miles from the house to finish out the contest from EM58.

At the end of what looked like it could have been a total wash out, it was
actually dry and mild temps.  The propagation gods could have been a little
more helpful, but I guess you can't win 'em all.

Gear:
Flex 6600 / Q5 Signal 5BVUX
50  - 200w - Par Moxon @ 18’
144 - 200w - Directive Systems  6el Rover Yagi @ 12’