[3830] ARRL Dig AB1J SO1R-24 Enclosed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Dig AB1J SO1R-24 Enclosed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 00:48:35 +0000
                    ARRL Digital Contest - 2022

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO1R-24 LP
Class Overlay: Enclosed
QTH: Waltham EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:30

Total:  727  Total Score = 5,410

I have 20m, 15m and 10m fanned dipoles in my attic, all on one coax and fed
through the 6500's tuner. I put them up there in 1979 and I guess they're still
there. I've been in the attic for problems, like roof leaks, but not to check my
aerials. The SWRs are still the same.

For this contest I force fed them on 40m through an external tuner with an added
indoor counterpoise. I really don't know what all is happening. Certainly not
good engineering, but it worked well enough on 40m to have a few QSOs. The real
action was on the high bands with the resonant dipoles.

10m produced the highest points/QSO (12.5), followed by 15m (8.6), 20m (6.5) and
40m (4.0). There were 460 FT8 QSOs and 267 FT4. FT8 produced higher QSO points
regardless of band and gave me more time to think.

I enjoyed this FT contest more than any of the others I've entered, but it is
still a frustrating mode. It's rigid and gets brittle when QSOs don't go
according to Hoyle. There were a surprising number of stations not using the NA
VHF or WW Digi contest modes, but I was able to effectively interoperate with
them. Others didn't follow the normal protocol which forced me to think quickly
to save the QSO. Sometimes there were delays in responding which made for
interleaved QSOs which I also tried to salvage, but they drove me nuts. My LCR
will probably be the kind of thing that only Stephen King would enjoy reading.

I'm trying to figure out the scoring rationale. Usually distance contests like
to emphasize the distances with large numbers in kilometers. It's more fun to
get 1.5 million points than 5 thousand for the same effort. But if you want
small scores, you'd do better yet to score in astronomical units, light years or
parsecs.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
20m-15m-10m: attic dipoles on one coax
40m: the above set of antennas force fed through a tuner plus an indoor
counterpoise

LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog