[3830] WPX CW K4BAI SOAB TB-Wires HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@ku8e.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K4BAI SOAB TB-Wires HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 01:20:39 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:34

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Well, this was far from what K4QPL and I had planned for this contest.  We
apologize  for the absence of a VP5 multiplier.  We attended CTU and various
functions and the Hamvention in Xenia, OH/Dayton last week.  Wored basks a lot,
but not possible at meals and while drinking.  KU8E had already dropped out of
our contest operation on TCI due to Covid concerns.  We get almost everything
set up for low power multi single wit two ops entry in CQ WPX CW.  Just had to
troubleshoot why the computers were not talking each other.  I did get to make
about 1300 QSOs in CWTs, NS, and non-contest operation.  Used VP5M in the CWTS
and VP/K4BAI otherwise.  We saw all the emails about multiple hams and contsters
testing positive for Covid after Dayton.  To enter the US by air, you must have
a negative Covid test the day before your flight leaves.  That would have been
Monday after the contest for us, the day before we were scheduled to fly home.
Jim got word that a contesterer who had ridden with him from Raleigh NC to
Dayton and return had tested positive for Covid.  We decided to get tests on
Thursday just to see what our options were.  Both of us tested negative.  Friday
morning, Jim didn't feel exactly right and we made the decision to abort the
contest operation and fly home on Friday.  If we had tested positive on Monday
for Covid, we would not be permitted to board the plane and would have to
quarantine on the island for 10 days or so.  Jim had other renters coming to his
QTH on TCI on Tuesday, the day we were to leave.  I have court scheduled and I
am sure we all had family activities planned then.  Very disappinting to us, but
it was the correct decision with the information we had at the time.

I had a good flight home to Atlanta with a van service on to my home in
Columbus.  I arrived in Columbus after the contest had started and my station
was torn up to rake some accessories to TCI.  Saturday I tried to get the
Icom576 and KPA1500 on he air, but couldn't get the internal keyer to work and
didn't get the Winkeyer set up for computer and paddle keying.  So, I made some
QSOs using a hand key.  Everyone seemed to accept my straight key sending OK.
On Saturday afternoon, Jeff, KU8E, came down and we swapped my newly repaired
TS590SG for the Icom and got everything hooked up and working.  The 590 worked
fine all weekend, so I hope no more problems with it soon.

While on TCI, using a K3 and a KPA500 at about 500W. ot seemed to me taht the
bands were pretty good.  Worked a couple of China stations and some in
Indonesia.  Concentrated on the WARC bands plus the four contests mentioned
earlier.  I even worked VU2GSM on 30 M.  I had never had a VU QSO on 30M from
any QTH.  But, when I got on the air Saturday, conditions were back to about
what they were for the last year or so.  10M was open almost only to the south.
I did work NR6O on 10.  15 had pretty long opening to Europe both days plus
South America and the Caribbean of courwe, plus Hawaii.  Think I may have worked
a ZL on 15.  20m open late into the night, but signals on my wire antennas
weren't too good.  Both 40 and 80 had a lot of QRN.  I don't have a 160M antenna
right now.  Fun contest and a challenge to send and record the QSOs numbers
accurately.  Was pretty fatigued after the trip and all the operating and didn't
feel I was quite as sharp as I would have liked to be.  Thanks for all QSOs.

Hope everyone enjoys the Memorial Day Holiday Monday.  73, John, K4BAI.