[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K5TR Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, geoiii@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K5TR Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:49:09 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:    2     1
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  448   154  Total Score = 95,326

Club: Roadrunners Microwave Group

Comments:

Normally we would go out as a rover in this contest but for a number of reasons
we decided to stay in. Sara - W5DMB did most of the 6 meter operating and I did
all of the other bands.  6 meters was much better that expected.  The high bands
were very flat or worse.  We had very high winds for the first day of the
contest and the VHF/UHF radio signals seem to have been swept away with the
winds. About 2 hours in to the contest the 6m amp - an old SB-220 that has been
converted to 6 meters let a lot of smoke out and stopped working.  I swapped in
the Elecraft KPA-500 and it made it through the rest of the contest.
Thanks to the rovers there was good activity on the high bands for most of the
contest.  So a big thanks to:

KD5IKG/R
W5TN/R
K2EZ/R
KA5D/R
AC5RN/R - for a few grids - hope to hear them more in coming contests.

It was also great to work all of the folks around Texas that got on the radio
this weekend.

It was great to work K5SW on CW on a few bands - even with the poor conditions.
As always great to work some folks.  Wish a few more of the big guns up that way
would get on CW and move through the bands with me - there are a number of
stations within 500 miles that would be fairly easy contacts on 144/22/432.

See you all in the next one.

Things that still mystify me.

Houston is the 4th largest city in the USA. it is pretty much in the middle of
EL29.  I worked EL29 for the first time on 2m in the last few hours - W5PR.
Seven other EL29 stations were worked on 6m - none on any other band.

Dallas / Fort Worth EM12/EM13 was only worked on any band above 432 by working
the rovers in EM12 that are from Austin.  No one in EM13 worked / heard above
432.

One of the big LM stations in Texas was calling CQ on FT8 on 144.200 for a good
while on Sunday afternoon and that was a bit annoying. I tried to work them and
tell them this but found it very hard to get the point across via the limited
free form data in WSJTX/FT8.

The station:

50Mhz - Elecraft K3 - KPA500 (500 watts)
        7 element yagi at 75'
        7 element yagi at 30'

144Mhz - Elecraft K3 - Elecraft XV144 - W6PO 8877 (1000 watts)
         17B2 17 element yagi at 35'

222Mhz - Elecraft K3 - Elecraft XV222 - Larcan amp (1000 watts)
         Cushcraft 15 ele yagi at 30'

432Mhz - Elecraft K3 - Elecraft XV432 - W6PQL amp (1000 watts)
         2 high stack M2 432-9WL 28 element yagis at about 40'

902Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEMI transverter -  50 watt amp
       - 16 element loop yagi at 30'

1296Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEMI transverter - 30 watt amp
          24 element loop yagi at 30'

2304Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEMI transverter - 2 watts or less
          27 element loop yagi at 30'

10GHZ   - Elecraft K3 -> 144 mhz UT5JCW transverter -> DEMI transverter -
3 watts
          2 ft dish 30'

 ( 144, 222, 432, 902, 1296, 2304  and 10GHz  are all using the same K3)

    6CW        2           2          2       0
    6DIG     207         202        202      81
    6SSB      63          61         61      13
    2CW        1           1          1       1
    2DIG      20          17         17       4
    2SSB      54          53         53      15
  222CW        2           2          4       2
  222SSB      26          25         50      10
  432CW        3           3          6       2
  432DIG       2           2          4       0
  432SSB      39          39         78      12
  902SSB      14          13         51       7
  1GHCW        1           1          4       1
  1GHSSB       6           6         22       2
  2GHCW        3           3         24       2
  2GHSSB       3           3         24       1
  10GCW        1           1          8       0
  10GSSB       1           1          8       1

 Totals      448         435        619     154

    Final Score = 95326 points.