[3830] CQWW CW N6RO M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenkeeler@jazznut.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N6RO M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 04:00:20 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N6RO
Operator(s): K3EST K6AW K7GK N6RO N6WM WX5S WA6O WU6P
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

  160:  156    15       23
   80:  239    25       56
   40: 1358    34       93
   20: 1093    36      117
   15: 1031    35       98
   10:  293    22       39
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Radio Oakley topped off the Thanksgiving weekend with our favorite DX contest.
We all had a good time, and as usual, learned a few new things.  Despite overall
conditions below last year, we managed to exceed the 2020 score by ~100K. Had no
hardware issues, and very few software problems.  By band:

160m:  N6RO and WU6P shared the chair;  RO led off Friday night, then Nian
finished off the evening shift, grabbing nearly everything heard, which was not
that many.  RO took the graveyard shift, bagging 36 JAs, HL, UA9s in Z18 and 19.
Sat night RO led off for a few mults in the Caribbean and CR3, then Nian took it
for the last ten hours of the darkness. Second night was better to the east, but
worse to the west, with no more JA logged.  No VK or ZL either night. To keep us
awake, we were happy to give zone 3 to several dozen Ws.  This was Nian's first
time operating with the team, doing an overall great job, operating a K3 station
and a FLEX 6600M, 160m for the first time, then learning SO2R Sunday AM on 160
and 80. He also filled in on 15m. We look forward to having him in all future
multi-ops.

80m: K6AW remoted in the early shift, logging a couple dozen EU Qs.  WX5S took
over at midnight by remote, with good condx to the east and south, but not good
to Asia, only 56 JAs. Sat. night was very poor to EU, but Steve got a few more.
Matt took over later for a few Qs, but became ill.  WU6P then took over 80m and
160m on the Flex; 23 more JAs on 80, but none on 160. Bottom line - lower QSO
volume compared to last year.

40m: WA6O handled the band all weekend, operating remote into a K3 station.
First night was ok to EU and good to JA. Second night, Iron Mike had a wonderful
EU run for a few hours, with JAs merging in very early - one beam on EU, other
on JA! Mike found a short path opening to EU on Saturday AM, and long path on
Sunday AM. He was happy to bag the 9X double mult in the last few minutes of the
contest.  whoopee.

20m: K3EST and K6AW swapped shifts smoothly throughout the weekend on both 20
and 10m.  Bob experienced some strange condx, possibly from a solar event; on
Friday eve, no VK workable, but got that mult LP on Saturday afternoon. Had some
SEA activity after SR both mornings, mixed in with good EU runs. Steve and Bob
found some good mults throughout the contest, Bob's highlight was Nepal Sat.
eve.

15m: Manned by N6WM, both remotely and on-site for the first 24 hours. Then K7GK
arrived, finishing the JA run, and working all day Sunday.
Chris had productive but short JA run Friday afternoon, but Saturday and Sunday
afternoons were good to Asia.  Denis put on a spurt Sunday afternoon, pushing
the 15m QSO total above 1000 for the first time in many years.  EU opening was
good Saturday, not quite as good Sunday, but Denis still managed some good
mults, busting pileups and attracting some good mults from CQ, like ES over the
pole and CP.  The typical Scandinavian opening was there both early afternoons.
This band is certainly on the sunspot come-back.

10m: K3EST and K6AW continued their shift-swapping, accumulating a slightly
better mult count compared to last year. Closest mult to EU were CR3 and CR6,
but nothing on the continent. Two JAs Saturday PM, and five on Sunday.  Steve
bagged OH on Sunday PM.  I guess that was the highlite of 10m!

Our results were somewhat similar to last year; mults on 80 thru 10m were up
slightly.  160 mults were down by 20, JA Qs down by 40. Biggest disappointment
was a significant drop in 80m JA QSOs, prop was just not there.

Thanks to all DX stations for the Qs.  The station will be active in coming
weekends:  WD6T in ARRL 160, K3EST in ARRL 10m.
73, n6ro