[3830] SS CW K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] SS CW K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 16:58:16 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0
   10:    0

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Last year I operated Saturday evening only because I was in "death
march" mode for work.  Sunday I ignored the contest even to the point
of failing to submit a 3830 report or even a log.

This year the Mad River Radio Club is making a slightly more concerted
effort than before to accumulate points in the medium club competition
in honor of our former Big Fish (president), Dave Pruett, K8CC (sk).
Dave always championed MRRC's club competition entry.  So as an act of
leadership by example (I am the current MRRC president), I committed
myself to trying to make as many points as possible.  We'll see how
much this commitment carries over to phone.

I bought an ETO91B from K8CC's estate which was alleged to have
potential problems.  I put that amplifier on my second radio in place
of K8ND's ETO91B, which I may return to him some day (thanks, Jeff!).
The amplifier worked perfectly.  Some day I'll actually put it near
the radios instead of on a little table off to the side.

I entered the Unlimited class so I could use spotting to find
multipliers and fresh meat.  I rediscovered my warning to myself from
2 years ago that fresh meat hunting via spots is problematic because
the spots have many errors.  The old "tuning" trick seemed to be
effective although exceedingly tedious.

Gradually my SO2R configuration is converging on complete symmetry.  I
need another K-pod for my 2nd K3 and I need to improve my antenna
switching and routing to allow both radios equal access to all of the
antennas.

Slept for 6 hours starting at 0610Z when the rate dipped below about
35 per hour.  Ideally I'd stay on longer, sleep less, and take a
couple of breaks Sunday afternoon, but I like sleeping.

My Beverages seemed to be much more effective on 40 and 80 meters than
ever before.  The directivity was very noticeable.

Working 3 Canadian Northwest Territories sections was a treat.  I
found at least 2 of every section except that KL7SB was my only
Alaska.  I saw AL1G spotted a few times but never heard him.
Apparently the auroral absorption was just too much.

Sections:
     1: AK
     2: ONN, NL, PE, WTX, SB
     3: MB, PR, VI, ID, NV, SK, ND, WY, AB, EWA, NT
     4: MS, VT, NE, LA
     5: SD, NM, NNY, LAX
     6: SF, SJV, MT, PAC, MAR, DE, WV
     7: KS, BC, WMA, EB, UT, QC
     8: RI, ME, SNJ, ONS, AR
     9: OK, NLI, ONE, ORG
    10: KY, SC
    11: OR, IA, AL, SFL
    12: CT, GTA
    13: WCF
    14: SDG, NTX
    15: AZ, WPA, NH
    16: SV, ENY
    17: WWA, CO, NNJ
    19: WNY, NFL, STX, GA
    20: MO
    21: SCV, IN
    22: WI
    24: EMA
    25: TN
    28: MI
    30: NC
    31: EPA
    34: OH
    39: MN
    45: MDC
    53: IL
    56: VA

In the list above, the order on a particular line is the order in
which the section appeared in my log.  So on line 3, one can see I
worked MB relatively early while I worked EWA and NT much later.

Equipment: Elecraft K3S/P3 and Alpha 8410; K3/P3 and ETO91B; tribander
at 100 feet, tribander at 60 feet, full sized verticals on 40 and 80.
Many 2-wire, center-fed Beverages.