[3830] CQWW SSB VE3JM SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE3JM SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 22:53:35 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: VE3JM
Operator(s): VE3JM
Station: VE3JM

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 37
Radios: SO2R

  160:  179    11       30
   80:  426    19       78
   40:  506    26       93
   20:  837    29      101
   15: 1076    30      117
   10:  176    22       83
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

It was a busy summer with some tower work and changes in the shack. I got a 140'
tower erected that will support a 40 m yagi. This is the 4th tower at the
location and I hope I will never get an idea to raise another tower. As a
temporary solution, until I build a 40 m yagi, I moved one XM-240 from a shorter
tower to the new tower. But now the antenna has developed some intermittent SWR
issues. Not sure if I will have time to fix it for the CW leg.

I have added VA6AM HP filters for all bands and triplexers for 2 tribanders that
are used for multipliers. I always wanted to have a SO2R capable rig and amp, so
in the end I decided to purchase Flex 6600 and PGXL. They worked well and I had
fun, but I had few issues with the Flex. The main one is that when changing
bands the antenna selection for one slice is not always kept the same even
though I initially went through all bands on two slices and assigned TX/RX ANT1
on slice 1 and ANT2 on slice 2. This is important for my antenna switching.

I used the contest as an opportunity to test the equipment. I was on and off and
was not keen to put in over 40 hours. I spent less time running and ended up
often calling DX, just to see if I can break the pileups.

It seems that the VA6AM filters and triplexers are working very well. I like the
RX audio on Flex, the visuals on SmartSDR, but I am a bit worried about issues
with band switching. I don't remember hearing any interference from the second
radio, so all the filtering provided by the VA6AM HP filters, Flex and PGXL
seems to be doing the job.