[3830] CQWW VHF K6RO SOSB/6 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lashap@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K6RO SOSB/6 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 05:46:51 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K6RO
Operator(s): K6RO
Station: K6RO

Class: SOSB/6 LP
QTH: LAX

    6:  59     31
Total:  59     31  Total Score = 1,829

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

My plan was to do this contest full time all weekend.
I even had help from Tim N6GP to get N1MM to talk to WSJT-X .
Tim was nice enough to call me before the contest started to help get my
software working.
We thought we had it all figured out..maybe we did ?
It looked good 30 minutes before game time.
Right before the contest,my computer wanted to do a windows update...
I tried to say no,but it started the update anyway.
I thought everything was good..started the contest,and my radio would not
transmit on SSB...I looked at WSJT-X,and it was trying to transmit at the same
time. I had never seen that before. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what
was up.
I turned off WSJT-X,so it wasn't running,and I was able to make 4 SSB q's.
I figured one of the settings we changed was messing things up..or was it the
windows update ?
I tried to use FT8 again,and it would receive,but no transmit.
I was beyond frustrated.. I rebooted the computer,and still no luck.
It appeared that the windows update changed my sound settings,and that had to be
reset.
45 minutes into the contest,I had 4 q's ,with what sounded like a really nice
band opening that I missed most of.
The moral of the story is to never try new settings right before a contest,and
NEVER do a windows update either.
After 1 hour on the air,I only had 21 q's .
I got a call from my tennis team captain,and he needed me to play a match.
I said yes...when I got home from an exhausting match,my girlfriend had us
booked for dinner at a friend's house...
So when I went to bed on Saturday,I had 21 q's in my log.
I knew nobody was going to get in my way of having fun on Sunday,so my plan was
to spend 6.5 hours catching up..
Only problem was the band was dead ,or mostly dead..
I finished with 59 q's and 31 mults.
I did make 4 q's on 2m,and that was not easy. Where were all the regulars who
live on 2m during contests ? I figured on a hundred q's for sure.
More guys told me they were not in the contest,and would not give me their
grid.
One guy who was doing a POTA or whatever it was ..said he didn't work
contesters.
I just about told him where to go,but thought better of it.
I love contesting,but trying to do too many things in one weekend doesn't help.
I even lost my tennis match,so it was a really messed up weekend.
Thanks Tim for trying to help me..
Thanks for all the q's.
Next year things will be better,and I will try and plan ahead,and only do this
contest.
Larry k6ro

K3S
JK Navassa - 2 elements on 6m @ 35 feet.