[3830] CQWW VHF K1HTV SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1htv@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K1HTV SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 22:03:10 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K1HTV
Operator(s): K1HTV
Station: K1HTV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 17:05

    6:  212    92
    2:   28    14
-------------------
Total:  240   113  Total Score = 30,284

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Here in VA (FM18ap) we had interesting 6M propagation Saturday evening. After
working an EA, a G, a pair of EI's, and 2 Cuban stations between 2220 and
2235Z,  around 00:30Z (Sunday UTC) the Magic Band opened again to Japan. I
managed to work 8 JA stations in 6 different grids. The last JA was heard at
02:28Z, 1028 PM EDT. It's the latest day in July and the latest time of day that
I've ever copied Japan on 6 Meters.

I didn't get home from church Sunday until after 9PM, so I missed any 2M tropo,
if there even was any. Around 16Z the 6M band tried to open to Europe again. A
number of stations briefly popped in with decent signals, only to disappear
completely in a minute or two and not reappear. Unlike the JA opening, this
European opening  was a frustrating one to work. Only managed to snag 4 new
grids in Europe, 2 in YL and 2 in SM.

The rest of the day was spent checking 2M and 6M SSB & CW and working mostly
6M FT8, where most of the action was.

CQ & ARRL really need to change the structure of their VHF contests to allow
stations to work each other on CW, Voice and Digital modes on 6M and 2M.  If
that change is made, the CW and SSB segments will come alive in future VHF
tests.

73,Rich - K1HTV