[3830] IARU K0G(@K5KG) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, giwagner@k5kg.com, fcg@groups.io
Subject: [3830] IARU K0G(@K5KG) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:20:52 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2021

Call: K0G
Operator(s): K5KG N7WY
Station: K5KG

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 21:51

  160:    0      0      0       0
   80:   92      0      6       3
   40:  342     34     22      13
   20:  215     19     19      21
   15:  181     13     11       5
   10:   72     15      7       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  902     81     65      43  Total Score = 287,820

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Our K0G operation was from a mountain cabin at 9940 ft. ASL located near Divide,
CO. We were at the Rocky Mountain Mennonite Camp, as recommended by W0BH.

Our stations were two K3's and one KPA/KAT 500 watt amp.  Antennas were a 40m
delta loop with the apex at 40 ft., one OCF dipole, and one 80m EFHW, both in
the trees. The KPA500 had been converted to 115 vac, as there was no 220 vac at
the cabin.  Logging was done with N1MM+.  All equipment and antennas performed
without any difficulties.

Our operation was visited by Murphy twice: Band noise and noise problems.  Band
noise was surprisingly annoying.  We thought that being at this elevation, the
bands would be crystal clear, but they weren't!  There was some electrical noise
from a source(s) that we couldn't identify.  It varied by time of day and which
band.  There was also what I would call atmospheric noise.  This also varied by
time of day and band, and presented itself as growling/swishing sounds that
seemed to drift up and down in frequency.  And, no, it wasn't a bear in the
woods!  These growling/swishing sounds were extremely bothersome, as they at
times seemed to move in on our freq as we were running or making a QSO.  I'd be
interested if anyone else noticed what I have described here.

The other visit by Murphy was that we had no Internet or wi-fi, and cell service
was spotty.  The network problem started before our arrival when lighting took
out the cabin's router.  A new one was ordered but did not arrive until Friday
before the contest.  The router was installed by the camp manager, but did not
work for reasons beyond our reach.  This prevented N1MM+ from being able to
communicate and, therefore, prevented the logs from synching.  This problem was
later identified as an IP problem after the contest, so by then we were able to
get a synched log and do a final score calculation.

In summmary, it was a successful operation, but not without its challenges.
Would we do it again? Youbetcha!

73, George, K5KG & Bob, N7WY