[3830] IARU N3BB SOABCW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N3BB SOABCW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:57:58 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2021

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 5.8
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1     0       0       1
   80:    2     0       1       1
   40:   47     0       6       3
   20:  431     0      20      24
   15:  217     0      11       8
   10:   40     0       4       0
-------------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

My first non-CWT/NCCC-NS contest on TR4W. It worked pretty well, thanks to N5AW
and K5PI who are my TR4W and Windows mentors. Much appreciated! After nearly 40
years using TR-Log on DOS with Norton Commander, which I thought and still think
is the best and most intuitive contest program ever written (tnx Tree), it's
hard for me to move over to Windows even on TR4W. Also, I had a very limited
time to operate in this one as my wife's health situation is going to prevent me
from any extended contesting other than really short ones and my beloved Sprint.

I got on during the day and early evening and it was mostly NA. Made it to the
station for the last three minutes Sunday morning after fixing breakfast and
looked for some local NU1AW/5 ops on 80 and 160: found both and was very
pleased. I probably was the last contact for the poor soul slogging away on
160!

Feeling pretty good now about normal "running," with S-and-P becoming
more comfortable, but still seems clunky compared with TR-Log. Interleaving,
running two bands simultaneously is gonna take more work but can do it.

This past three month period has been hell on earth for me in terms of ham
radio. A direct lighting strike very close to here knocked out my trusty SO2R
system from Top Ten Devices. Fortunately, long time friends Dave and George
pitched in and did an updated design with the newer, single SO2R box that
replaces two "one by six" relays and six A/B relays. Long-time family
friend Dave flew in from W3 land for a week, stayed with us and replaced the
custom "any antennas combination on one dit on either radio" with new
hardware as much of the original system had been damaged in the storm. All the
rotator cables and coax cables had been disconnected during the storm, but
somehow the strike raised the ground potential and it came up into the shack by
the ground system and knocked out much of the Top Ten system. Fortunately, the
K3 radios and Alpha amps were unscathed along with all rotators.

If that was not enough, on top of my wife's stroke impact, the growth of tree
branches into the 14.4 KV power lines, all above ground here in an old
developement in the country, had resulted in bad arcing QRN. The power company
has hired a contractor to clear off the lines from the growth of tree branches
over an extended area. That has fixed, or nearly fixed the QRN. Now that the
station SO2R is rebuilt and the 14.4 KV lines are cleared (for the most part), I
can hear weak signals again. Things are looking up here for a change.

Thanks for the IARU contest and it was fun as always. Appreciate all the calls
and nice little mini-chats to say hello along the way.

73, Jim N3BB