[3830] WPX CW N8II SOSB20 Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N8II SOSB20 Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 21:08:10 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB20 LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 19.6

Total:  930  Prefixes = 612  Total Score = 1,233,792

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Going into the weekend, it looked like 3 operating interruptions; that was
whittled down to 2 which were a friend's visit mid day Saturday, and dinner with
XYL's family Sunday. Considering those handicaps, I did pretty well. At the
start, from Germany to the south (Med area extremely loud) signals were very
good with a few northern EU coming through. The first hour was worth 89 Q's,
about half with EU, a mix of S&P and run beaming EU. In the 2nd hour and
later Russian EU with a very few Asians were logged. My last night time Q was
0304Z with LZ9W who was not very loud, the band was closing to EU and the west.
238 Q's were in the log.

I was back at 1148Z with surprisingly good signals from northern EU and workable
signals from all of EU, no JA's logged. EU was still workable at 1539Z  when my
friend arrived (had about a hour off for breakfast/XYL help before that) with
360 Q's now in the log. The USA activity was disappointing, but skip at times
was quite short into 1/4/8/9 call areas. I was back at 1914Z; EU signals were
not loud enough to run, but plenty to S&P, some of which were slow to break
through and work. EU signals gradually improved, it was not that productive to
run until around 2040Z and then I was high in the band. 481 Q's logged by 2118Z
dinner break. I had a good run beaming EU from 2214CZ until just past 23Z. The
rest of the evening past 24Z rates were fairly slow and activity dropped, but I
was still managing about 60 or so Q's/hr. until 0156Z when there was not much
left to find/run with 694 Q's logged. I did find ZL4TT and VK4KW who had a
really good signal and no pile up. There was not much activity from Asia despite
good condx to zone 18.

Sunday at 1121Z started off great with a surprising JA run, my best in quite a
while. 20 JA's were logged, about half run and almost all new prefixes. Signals
from northern EU were good, but by 15Z EU was pretty weak. Thankfully there was
fairly plentiful sporadic E in NA which kept the Q's coming at a reasonable
rate. 838 Q's were in my log for long lunch/chore break at 1623Z. The Es was
still good at my 1821Z return. The EU activity the rest of the afternoon seemed
very far down from Saturday only about 25-30% of the total stations on the air
Saturday afternoon. There were plenty of open spots even some low on the band to
call CQ. Es was still in to about all directions with some W1/W2/OH/PA/NC
stations logged. Around 20Z, I had a decent EU run, had to QRT at 2035Z with 930
Q's.

I did a lot of S&P, running NA was slow Sunday except for once when I was
apparently spotted. I should have S&P'ed EU more Saturday, runs were tough
to start/maintain even on clear frequencies. The summer absorption does not
favor LP ops. I was surprised by all of the close in NA prefixes worked, but
overall felt NA S&P'ers should have been more numerous. 2/3 of my Q's were
new mults, amazing mult numbers posted on 3830!

Thanks much for the calls and Q's. This is my best 20M WPX CW score in quite a
while.

73, Jeff