[3830] CQ160 CW N9TF Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9tf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N9TF Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 23:46:46 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5

Total:  QSOs = 637  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 6  Total Score = 85,278

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Lots of fun! Personal best for this little pistol. That makes the effort so much
more fun! Goal was to best my last best in 2019 of 508 Qs and 70,333 score. Once
I broke through, I was hungry for more points. There is always that one Q, like
that one golf shot, that brings you back to the chair for more. During a run
late Saturday night in a push to break through the 600 Q mark, I was called by
UZ2I. At first I didn't believe it could be. I sent his call back with a ?
(dangerous to do!), and got the R and we finished the Q. It was 30 minutes
before his SR and he popped way out of my noise level (S5) at a solid S9. Only
other EU I heard briefly was an F6. I saw a bunch of EU spotted, but did not
hear them. On the frequency that G5W was spotted on, I heard ZF2WF calling CQ,
That was OK as I had not worked him yet, so proceeded to do so!
Started out unassisted, but broke down early Saturday morning to check spots for
JA and KH6. Glad I did, as I saw a spot for KH7A. I probably would have never
heard him S&Ping as he was right at my noise, but as luck would be, there
were very few callers and I was able to make the Q. There were a couple JAs
spotted, but had no copy.
With KH6 worked and down to only NE and AK needed for WAS on 160 in a contest, I
searched for AK and NE. Only saw one post for KL7, and did not hear him. I was
surprised with all the cqing I did, with most being productive, that I could not
scare up even one NE contact. NE was my only open section, and no AK.
All time high dup rate this contest. Twelve of my 637 were dups. Four are on me
as H&S and 2&3 as minor dyslexia starts taking over this  retired brain!
The other 8 were all stations I had (or thought I had) worked already
S&Ping. They became dups when running. One op twice in two of my separate
runs.
160 for noise was mostly quieter than normal, especially with the winter storm
that built to the south and dumped just over 12" of snow on us here
overnight. Noise level never went above S5, which is quiet here.
The short (30' vertical) Inverted L I put up this past October sure seems to
play much better than the W8AMZ short half sloper I used for many years. I have
observed a much better footprint to the western U.S than I have ever had. During
 a few runs I had 6s&7s calling me, which in the past was rare. 14 CA in the
log, 10 of which called me. Five OR in log, and they all called, and 2 out of
three WA called in. Very happy about that.
I know this short Inverted L is still mostly a cloud warmer, but it did just
recently put me over the top for DXCC on 160. Award is in process at this time.
Last four were all QSL cards, just approved by log checker.
It's been a win win 160 season!

Thanks for all the Qs! Lots of SMC in the log!!

73 Gene, N9TF
Rig, K3S 100 watts, TX/RX antenna, 30' vertical Inverted, 95' horizontal portion
spilt east and south sloping down to 15' above ground at the south end.