[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K4HQK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K4HQK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:37:44 +0000
                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA

    6:  78     14
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  78     14  Total Score = 1,092

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Sunday only for me (spent Saturday with NAQP-SSB), and all digital (FT8). I
could never find anyone using CW or SSB; maybe that happened only at the start
on Saturday, as I've noticed in the past.

Sunday 0815-0850 EST was my first dive into the contest. Saw mostly Mid-Atlantic
stations and a few in the Midwest during a brief Es that disappeared before I
could call one.

Returning after breakfast (1100-1300 session), regional QSOs were all I
heard--with one exception: At 1122 I nabbed WA8QYJ in EL96 (Naples, FL) during a
brief Es opening. After 1200 it got so busy that competition became difficult.
Nil on FT4 when I checked at 1230.

Afternoon, my final session (1500-1830), continued very busy and regional. No
more Es. Still no FT4. Has everyone given up on that mode?

While I love WSJT-X and its many features, it would be enormously helpful if it
flagged dupes as you clicked that station's line of text. Eyeball scanning my
QSO list before calling someone gets old and with me isn't very successful; I
discovered 8 dupes after the contest ended (removed from the table above).
Grrr!

Despite the stingy Es openings, at least we had tons of activity that made
participation worthwhile and enjoyable. Living in this high-population part of
the U.S. always provides plenty of activity, Es or not!

73 and see you in June . . .

John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA

Station: IC-7410 (100w; no 6m amp) and a Cushcraft 3-el A50-3S Yagi at 25' on
our 110' hillside.