[3830] CQWW CW M7Q(G4PIQ) SOAB Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW M7Q(G4PIQ) SOAB Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 13:57:52 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: M7Q
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: M7Q

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: JO02OD

  160:  162    10       38
   80:  437    13       46
   40:  533    15       60
   20:  268    19       51
   15:  377    22       52
   10:   56    13       28
------------------------------

For obvious reasons we weren't able to do Multi-Multi @ M6T this year, so time
for an entry from the small home station. We've lots going on at home right now
- and I didn't think I'd have time for a full entry until some new COVID
restrictions were announced on the Thursday afternoon and relaxed timescales for
getting stuff sorted at home, so - I managed to squeeze in a 24 hour operation.
I completely understand why the Classic section is structured as it is - but I
found it frustrating not being allowed to do SO2R in the section.

My other big challenge was that the tri-bander has long had a bad intermittent
and I hadn't been able to carve out the time to take it down and fix it. I did
low power to try and prevent exacerbating the intermittent problem. The outcome
was that I had a small yagi which more or less worked on 15m, had poor SWR,
negative front-to-back and unknown gain on 10m, and un-predictable performance
(by about 10dB) and intermittent negative front-to-back on 20m. By Sunday - I'd
figured out how to work out if the antenna was working at a particular time or
not from small SWR changes...

None of the Sporadic E which was present in the SSB leg helped the high bands
this time - but great activity (making it often very difficult to sift the busy
bands for new mults) - and decent conditions. 10m was better than it has been
for the past few years - but it's got a long way to go, and it looks like it was
in much better shape further South in Europe. Most remarkable QSO of the contest
was RM0F in Zone 19 calling in at my dawn on 80m.

Thanks for all the QSOs and mults.

Rig     : K3

160     : Inv-L @ 18m + Inv-V Dipole @ 18m
80 / 40 : Inv-V Dipoles @ 18m