[3830] 222Up KM4KMU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 222Up KM4KMU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 19:03:11 +0000
                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2020

Call: KM4KMU
Operator(s): KM4KMU
Station: KM4KMU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FM16WV

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
------------
Total:   4  Total Score = 1,719

Club:

Team:

Comments:

A couple hours after the start I finished the installation of my first 432
stack, a pair of M2 440-18's with a DSE power divider.  I heard NOTHING on SSB
or FT8/FT4 for several hours. Used my HT to make sure I was putting out a
signal, I was.  Then I worked a couple FM repeaters on 1.25M & 70CM just to
make sure.

Saw almost zero activity on DX maps and a couple other sources.  Did I have the
wrong weekend?  Could CONDX really be THAT BAD EVERYWHERE?

After another hour of frustration I set up a schedule with K1RZ 176 miles away
for SSB.  Worked both bands easily once I was able to get clear of all the crazy
QRM from the Naval Base which is directly in my path to Dave.  There had been
constant thunder and occasional lightning all day so I kept a close eye on the
lightning map. It was getting a little hairy when we finished the Q's so I shut
down, dropped the mast, pulled the antenna off and disconnected all power and RF
cables.  Really happy with 432 stack.

About 3hrs later Jeff K1TEO reached out for Sched.  Its raining with thunder but
no visible lightning.  Checked the lightning map, no ground strokes within 10
miles so I ran outside and set up.  The winch I use to raise the mast would not
run (a control box problem) so I used jumper cables to run the winch.  Then 222
would not transmit.  I lowered the mast in a rush to check the cabling, screwed
up the gin pole set up and ended up dropping the mast uncontrolled for the last
5 feet, bending the top three Camo net poles and some 222 elements.  Mast was
still usable so I straightened the elements, found nothing wrong with the
cabling, set up the gin pole properly and raised the mast. Jumped back in the
Jeep (thoroughly soaked) and discovered I forgot to turn on the 222 transverter.
 Easily made the 222 SSB contact, had to try a couple times on 432 but
succeeded, 342 miles  Now I am super happy with the 432 stack.

By this time I had ground strokes within 10 miles so as soon as we were done I
quickly (and PROPERLY) lower the mast, tore down and uncabeled.  I inspected the
damage this morning, not too bad, just need some new camo net poles before
September.  Got back on the air and spent another 4 hours listening to noise.
No FT8 or FT4 decodes, No SSB, I did hear one station forlornly calling CQ on
222.100 CW with no takers.

Thunder came back at 2pm so I called it a day and shut down.  Time to order up
some camo net poles and fix my winch.

Despite all it was great fun.  Happy to have made the two Q's I did and could
not have been with a better pair of stations and operators.  My new 432 stack
works and I am looking forward to September with great anticipation.

73
John
KM4KMU