[3830] WPX CW NC8C(K8MR) SOAB TB-Wires HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NC8C(K8MR) SOAB TB-Wires HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 00:24:03 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: NC8C
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 29.5

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

FB contest! Of course after a winter of operating from the Florida condo with
low power and semi-hidden antennas, an amplifier and a tribander are a big step
up. Usually this contest shares time with a major bridge tournament through
Memorial Day here in Cleveland, but not only did the calendar avoid the
conflict, but the tournament was cancelled due to the COVID.

Interesting conditions. Was ready to start on 20, but took a listen of 15 and
heard signals - from Europe! Many with good signals. First 35 Qs there, half or
more EU stations.

Next surprise was lots of E skip on Saturday, especially to W1. Way more 10 (and
15) meter QSOs than expected. Including many more Europeans on 15.

Some nice runs on Saturday evening on 20 and 40. Went to bed with no rush to
wake up and get on the air. When I did took a listen on 10 and there weren't as
many signals as on Saturday, but they were from Europe! Got about 20 EU QSOs on
10 meters.

Ended with a decent runs on 20 and 40, and with 2 minutes left I was about 500
points short 4M. Lots of tense unanswered CQs until K9VER called in with 15
seconds left for the 4 million claimed points.

Never heard a JA other than W1NN and WA6URY, both remote from Tokyo. A few west
Asians, but E2A was the only E/SE Asian heard. Only 1 VK and 3 Africans that I
can remember. But lots of EU!

73  -  Jim   K8MR