[3830] MWaveSprngSprnt KA2KQM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kent.odell@windstream.net
Subject: [3830] MWaveSprngSprnt KA2KQM Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 21:37:17 +0000
                    Microwave Spring Sprint - 2020

Call: KA2KQM
Operator(s): KA2KQM
Station: KA2KQM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM74tm

Total:  QSOs = 9  Max Dist(km) = 202  Total Score = 853

I hope that everyone had a much fun as I did during the Microwave Sprint. This
was my first outing with my new Icom 9700. I brought antennas for 144 MHz, 11
El, 432 MHz 23 El and 1296 55 El. Radio was barefoot on all bands. 100 watts/144
MHz, 75 watts/432 MHz, 10 watts/1296 MHz. My location was just 1/8 mile up the
road from my house. But, 70 feet higher at 3270 feet ASL. I was hoping for
better success on 1296 MHz with a somewhat better horizon. Antennas were on a 7
foot mast with 1296 MHz at the top, then 432 and 144 at the bottom. This was
stuck into a patio table with a hole in the middle for an umbrella. The table
was on a 5 x 10 flat utility trailer pulled by my Rav4. The intent was to be
able to move if I had to get an opening in the proper direction between the
buildings and water tank at the top of the mountain. I ended up picking a good
location and did not have to move for any of my QSO's. It was quite a surprise
when within five minutes of setting up, I was hearing "5" calls on 2
meters! I did work TX on 144 and 432 MHz for 800 km plus QSO's in between the
1296 MHz contacts. A very nice surprise. And, my son, KJ4OLQ came up to observe
the 1296 MHz activity and ended up making his first 1296 contact! The tropo only
seemed to extend to the west. A 600 watt 1296 MHz station north of me commented
how poor signals were from his location back east to Charlotte, NC on 432 and
1296.  I learned some interesting lessons regarding tree attenuation on 1296 MHz
as two of my test contacts the night before were much stronger from my backyard
1/8 mile away and 65 feet lower than when I worked them from the radio site at
the top of the mountain. One of the weaker contacts was down the ridge line
through apparently more trees than a somewhat less obstructed path in my
backyard through fewer trees. I put in a fair amount of effort emailing and
calling several folks in the Southeast States trying to drum up more activity.
It actually helped, I worked 9 stations in 5 grids on this outing. Three of the
stations were actually using their 432 MHz arrays on 1296 MHz to get on the air!
Thanks all for getting on and joining the fun! Hope to hear some good results
from others!

9 Q's and 5 Grids from EM74tm on 1296 MHz. I worked 31 Q's total including 144
and 432 MHz contacts which of course don't count for the Microwave Sprint. But,
were fun none the less.

1296 MHz Contacts.

KX4R, EM73lw, 89 km
W3CP, EM74ug, 29 km
W4ZST, EM84ao, 39 km
KG4WLX, EM86aa, 171 km
W4ENN, EM64ru, 202
WB4LRA, EM74ic, 96 km
W4AMP, EM73nv, 83 km
W4VAS, EM84ca, 77 km
WA4NJP, EM84dg, 67 km

Hope to catch all of you on the air for the 50 MHz Sprint on Saturday, 5/9/20
2300 z.

73,

Kent O'Dell, KA2KQM