[3830] ARRLDX SSB KH7M(@KH6ZM) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fred3830@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KH7M(@KH6ZM) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 02:27:03 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: KH7M
Operator(s): KY7M NA2U
Station: KH6ZM

Class: M/S HP
QTH: HI
Operating Time (hrs): 48:00

  160:  136    46
   80:  315    53
   40: 1597    60
   20: 1627    56
   15:  626    53
   10:    5     2
-------------------
Total: 4306   270  Total Score = 3,476,520

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

One station in CA worked us FOUR times on 20m!

Veteran contester Lee, KY7M, joined me this year for some multi-single fun.  It
was Lee's first time operating from KH6.  I think Lee would agree with me that
it's worth the trip to Hawaii just to enjoy the wonderfully sweet papayas for
breakfast, but I digress!  Lee would also agree that the weather here near
Volcano, HI is NOT what one thinks of when they think of Hawaii.  It's chilly
with LOTS of rain at 3,500' ASL.

I compared our performance with last year's M/S effort here from the start.  We
were in pretty good shape from the start, which is 1400 Friday local time.  We
were expecting a lot from 15m after sunrise on Saturday but conditions were a
great disappointment.  We only made 200+ Qs on 15m before the band folded.  We
started losing ground compared to last year.  We would still find ourselves
behind last year's pace on Sunday morning local time.  This would mostly be made
up on Sunday.

While conditions on 160m seemed very good/quiet this year, 80m was much less so.
 I also thought it unusually difficult to make Qs on 80m.  Fortunately, 40m
rocked from here again.  And there ain't no meters like 10m.  We had been
monitoring 10m and it never showed much life except for the ever-present path
from HI to PY.  We did spot one QSO and worked both participants.  Later KA6BIM
stopped by on 15m and suggested we try.  That move was successful and we made
two more Qs while we were there.  We exceeded last year's 10m stats.  Last year
we had 7 Qs/1 mult.  This year 5 Qs/2 mults.  Not much, but fun.  Dave, KA6BIM,
was our only 6-band station.

On most visits here I don't find the need to do much search and pounce.  It's
almost always run, run, run.  We did do some S&P but we could always find
lots of DX that we couldn't work and only found a few US/VE stations we could
work.

We made 5 less Qs than last year but had a 14% increase in mults resulting in a
14% increase in claimed score.  I'm really liking this two-man multi-single
thing.  Each of us worked 24 hours on a schedule that has us both, in the end,
working all 24 hours of the day.  And it's much friendlier if one has sleep
issues.

Thanks, as always, to Max, KH6ZM, and his XYL, Kathy, for being very gracious
hosts and keeping us well fed and providing lively conversation.

Did I mention a station in CA worked us FOUR times on 20m?

73 and aloha,

Fred/KH6/NA2U and Lee, KH6/KY7M