[3830] ARRLDX CW OE1CIW SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, oe1ciw@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW OE1CIW SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 20:24:53 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: OE1CIW
Operator(s): OE1CIW
Station: OE1CIW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: JN88EE
Operating Time (hrs): 09:10

  160:    0     0
   80:   21    12
   40:  102    29
   20:   73    27
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  196    68  Total Score = 39,984

2020 ARRL DX Contest CW, SO AB LP - OE1CIW:

What a great contest and amazing propagation on this weekend! This is my best
score so far in the ARRL DX CW and i almost could even double my score from 2019
even though i only was active 09:10 hours ON :) !

I started on 40 m and W3LPL did change everything when he asked me for a QSY to
80 m. Everyone knows i have absolutely nothing but a simple wire in the attic
(!!) and 100 watts only - but nevertheless it worked!

The main problem for me on 80 m is that i only hear all DX stations with very
weak signal strenghts - even big guns. It seems that most of them can copy me on
80 m with my piece of wire and that´s really amazing!

Well after the contact with W3LPL i was absolutely hooked on 80 m ... i
discovered 80 m in a new way for me and i pretty liked it. With reduced morse
code speed to 20 wpm I could work 8 stations on 80 m in less than 1 hour and for
me W3LPL and KC1XX were the loudest stations on the band this time.

I also was able to work VY2TT, VA2WA and VE3EJ on 80 m - so not only USA in the
log, hi. It was really tough to get K3LR in the log because he always wanted to
call CQ CQ CQ and again and again ... but finally i got him also in the log.
Also heard on 80 m but unfortunately no QSO with N1MM, K4ZW, K3ZO, N4WW and
(anyway invalid for me) KP2M.

Because i didn´t want to loose my option to get multis and lot of stations on
40 m i changed several times to 40 m and back to 80 m. I wkd my last station on
80 m at 0624 utc and the surprise for me was i really could totally work 21
stations (!) from 12 states / territories on 80 m! Believe me ... this is a big
success for me and my small station and i even tried on 160 m to get an ATNO but
i couldn´t hear any station from USA or Canada ... not even W3LPL - my antenna
for 160 m is too bad, i´m sorry.

40 m was my best band as always with 102 contacts and 29 multis. The last
station i worked on 40 m in the first night shift was at 0850 utc which is
pretty late! At the end of the contest i could also work VA1MM from NS i never
worked before. The first station on 20 m i could work at 1118 utc and i had to
stop Saturday afternoon at 1549 utc for another event ;)

I´m sure i could get a higher score but every year we have a second event on
the same weekend. So i also was in the ballroom this weekend and spent quality
time with my wife Christine and our daughter Elli until 0100 utc or so and i had
a wonderful nap at home after a lot of dancing in the ballroom so i was
definitely NOT on the air during the contest between Saturday 1550 utc and
Sunday 1100 utc.

I started again on 20 m at 1108 utc and could use the band until 1707 utc. I
tried later but signal strenghts were going down and just big guns had even the
option to use 20 m. Btw i tried several times to use 15 m and i almost could
work W3LPL but he didn´t hear me and exactly when the band opened at Saturday
afternoon i had just few time to be on the station - sorry guys. Sunday
afternoon i tried it again but nothing heard.

First new station on 40 m i could work was at 2029 utc and it was beautiful to
work also very weak signals. No luck with N0AX from WA ... i tried several times
but he was deaf for me anyway.

I´m very happy to get several contacts to USA/Canada this weekend - thanks a
lot for every contact and the multis :)

73 de Michael OE1CIW