[3830] WAE CW AD5A Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW AD5A Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 03:24:00 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: AD5A
Operator(s): AD5A
Station: AD5A

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX

   80:   11     8    36
   40:  154   145   105
   20:  214   228    84
   15:   37    35    40
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  416   416   265  Total Score = 220,480

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This contest was painful. I operated from my Rocksprings, TX radio QTH, which is
just a few miles from west Texas:-). I probably should've just operated from my
home QTH which is about 100 miles closer to EU. There must have been a line
somewhere in Texas were the propagation stopped and I was on the wrong side of
it. I felt like a QRP'er when calling endless CQ's, endless repeats and lost
QSO's because I just couldn't copy the numbers in the rapid QSB. Conditions
improved on 20m slightly on Sunday afternoon, but not much. This was a slog. My
only consolation was that N9NB was at N5AW's place, not too far away, and our
serial numbers were similar. However the guys in East Texas were working things
I couldn't hear. I have a 190 ft. rotating tower with stacks, so the hardware is
there, but the prop was not.

Another problem I had, although I don't think it would have made a lot of
difference, was that my 80m RX antenna, a SAL 30, was blown over is one the
severe thunderstorms we had a month or so ago. I didn't realize that until I
went to hook it up and it wasn't there, well it was, but on the ground. So 80m
was a challenge with all the QRN. There was a decent opening, relatively
speaking, on 15m on Sunday morning that allowed me to pick up some nice mults,
so there was a bit of fun to be had.

Oh well, that's contesting, I'm sure Contesting amnesia will set in and I'll get
excited again when the next contest rolls around.