[3830] WAE CW NN5O Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW NN5O Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 03:06:29 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: NN5O
Operator(s): NN5O
Station: NN5O

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Tupelo, MS
Operating Time (hrs): 7:28

   80:    1     0     4
   40:   50    36    69
   20:   62    72    58
-------------------------
Total:  221   108   131  Total Score = 28,951

Club: Deep Dixie Contest Club

Comments:

WAE is always lots of fun.  However...

To me, it seemed that band conditions were as bad as I can remember them for a
contest since about 1980 (I was off the air for nearly 40 years).  I heard only
a couple of frail beeps on 15m.  20m was only occasionally productive.  40m gave
me what seemed like the most reasonable signal levels.

I began the contest unassisted and intended to stay that way.  But, I soon
figured that, if I was going to have any decent luck, I needed to watch the
spots.  So, about halfway through my operating time, I switched to assisted.

Too, I wanted to operate again as low power.  However, with my simple, low
antenna, I was having the Dickens of a time breaking through--and it was very
common to be asked for repeats.  I'll bet I lose some Qs in the log checking
process, because I think some stations didn't get my call sign right.  So,
again, after a couple of hours operating with about 70 watts, I finally gave up
and turned on my Ameritron AL-800H and pumped it up to around 700 watts (that
hefty thing can go beyond the legal limit, but why on this Earth would I use all
that?  Wouldn't matter one whit in signal strength difference and no need to tax
the amp).  Thank goodness, I was finally able to be heard better, but still had
to offer a few repeats, given the band conditions.

OK, enough of this treatise.  Thanks to all who gave me a Q.

Visit our club web site -- http://deepdixiecc.org

73,

--Dr. Larry S. Anderson, NN5O  (CW Ops #1327)
Tupelo, MS  (birthplace of Elvis)
Flex 6600M ~ 100w into horizontal loop up 35 feet (average)