[3830] CQMM DX K6DAJ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQMM DX K6DAJ SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 02:43:21 +0000
                    CQMM DX Contest - 2019

Call: K6DAJ
Operator(s): K6DAJ
Station: K6DAJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Berkeley, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:12

   80:    7      0
   40:   64      4
   20:   60      7
   15:   11      8
   10:
----------------------
Total:  142     19  Countries = 16  Total Score = 15,540

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

First time in this very interesting and fun contest. I like the focus on SA and
the "everyone works everyone" rule. Casual operating from modest home
station in between holiday visits.  20m conditions disapponiting, 40m OK, 80m
marginal.  As for 15, it had some spotlight propagation.  Actually, so did 20.
Despite my modest score I had a relaxing and fun time. About 80% S&P, though
running worked OK too.

For me the most interesting aspect of the contest was using the N1MM+ Spectrum
Display for the first time, in SO2V mode receiving I/Q output from the Icom
7610.  The great thing about the N1MM+ spectrum display  (as opposed to the
built-in one in the 7610) is that you can set it to only display RBN spots for
signals that are above a threshold (which you can also set) and it shows the
call signs (and hides the dupes).  So, given my compromise antenna situation, I
was not inundated with inaudible spots... I could zero in on the ones that I had
a chance of working.  There were false positives and false negatives, but it was
still very helpful. Not sure how useful this would be at a more capable station
where more of the spots are audible, but it was a useful addition to my small
pistol arsenal. Also, not sure if/how it works with other radios and how it
compares to their own spectrum displays.