[3830] ARRL 160 W2GD M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W2GD M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 12:56:17 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): K2SG K2TW KE2D KI4KWR N2HM N2OO W2GD W2NO W2OB W2RQ
Station: W2GD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: SNJ

Total:  QSOs = 1669  Sections = 81  Countries = 62  Total Score = 634,349

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3 x 3
OM2000HF  1250 watts
Win-Test Logging Software
2 element vertical Yagi @ 240' with NE, West and Omni direction options
Beverage antennas NE, E, S, SW, W, NW, plus HI-Z Four Vertical System

We continue to use the ARRL 160 event to iron out whatever problems
might be lurking when you pass through the fence at the end of "Murphy
Drive".  Our goal is to have everything completely ready for the CQ160 CW
two months from now.

We had two work parties before CQWW CW, the first one saw installation of the
TX array on the 300 foot tower, and the second to complete cabling of the seven
RX antennas and . There never seems to be enough time at this point in Contest
Season and with ARRL 160 just six days after CQWW CW, its a tight squeeze on the
schedules for many of us.  Our biggest task was inspecting/repairing/replacing
all of our beverage elements.  There was tree damage to every wire.

The day before the contest we discovered three of our logging computers had bad
power supplies and one had a bad memory board.  Fortunately we came up with
'spare' until we could put our hands on replacement power supplies. We attempted
to interface the two real time score boards without success.  But for a change
we had everything ready an hour to spare before the starting bell.

The team experienced their best first hour of any 160 meter contest in the last
30+ years. During that exciting first sixty minutes, we put 249 contacts in the
log which amazingly contained 59 five pointers from EU and the Carib. What a
rush!  The band was quiet.  It seems there were both EU and NA pileups taking
place at the same time.

The first night there were two EU peaks, the first at the start and the second
as EU sunrise approached.  We logged 232 five pointers (up from 148 in 2017) on
night one and added another 101 during night two.  We don't remember ever having
333 five pointers before.

USA participation seemed somewhat subdued, perhaps due to the rain, snow and
tornadoes across the heartland this weekend.  But the highlight of the weekend
were the exceptional rates the first several hours with the hoards of USA on the
air at the open.  Our opening to the western US was better the first evening. We
enjoyed the camaraderie of a large team.

And as always thanks to the owners of WYRS-FM for making this fantastic
site available to us and to the members of the SJDXA for their ongoing
assistance.

On to the Stew Perry TBDC in a few weeks.

73,

John, W2GD
For the 160 TEAM