[3830] CQWW SSB AT3A(VU2XE) SOSB20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AT3A(VU2XE) SOSB20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 04:28:27 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: AT3A
Operator(s): VU2XE
Station: AT3A

Class: SOSB20 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:    2     1        1
   20:  146    21       53
   15:   30    11       14
   10:
------------------------------

Contest this time was a real challenge for me. Ideally speaking lot of things
were possible. Whether they were practical to implement at a new location is
something I had underestimated.

My Hexbeam had fracture on one of the spreaders while doing it lifting last
time. We have few trees nearby the home and the tower which obstructed and the
spreaders. With help of VU2JIX OM Prakash Shetty from Mangalore Amateur Radio
Club and one other local, we could manage to lift it and fix it at around 15
feet below planned height. Now it was at 32 feet or so from the ground.

However fixing Verticals for 40 and 80mtr was not happening. Perfectly tuned
antennas from a week ago were showing high SWR. Elevated Radials were checked,
1:1 choke was replaced, Coax was replaced. But finally we had to abandon due to
lack of time and SOAB effort now looked like only 20-15-10 one.

Couple of visitors from the club observed wild toddy cats on our backyard wall
which is near the verticals. And i suspect they might have chewed some of the
vertical element wires :( (atlast some one to blame hi!).

Anyways, I heard 15 mtr band was very good during the day time, but i could hear
them low than usual. and decided to limit only to 20mtr. There was strange
problem of hash noise during the day time also which was limiting my SNR. Tested
few shops 200 feet away, but nothing was obvious. I will have to figure out the
source cause before CQWW CW.

Night time after 13UTC was very much low on noise, but only worked tail end of
NA path openings. Second day i tried CQ on 20mtr most of the time during day,
but in vain i could not hear much DX. Worked few PY stations at around 20 UTC
which were very loud out here in absence of EU at that time.

Overall good experience, some satisfaction about the setup and improvements are
already in the list now.

See you next time

Kiran AT3A (VU2XE)