[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W1XM Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF W1XM Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 20:09:54 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: W1XM
Operator(s): KC1EPN KD2FJB KC1IXU KD2HUL KD1KY W1KXJ KJ0EY WG1Z KM4UXI AB1IZ
Station: W1XM

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Fn42ki

    6:   59    10
    2:   70    17
  222:   26     8
  432:   34     8
  903:    5     4
  1.2:   11     5
  2.3:    2     2
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  207    54  Total Score = 17,766

We had a fun contest overall. We used it as a recruiting event and got a lot of
freshmen and sophomores to come operate for a bit. It looks like a lot of them
are going to get their own licenses now:) so definitely a win. VHF operation
went well on Saturday, but conditions were extremely poor on Sunday and it
seemed like the bands just died completely toward the end.

On microwave we found that our 2304 transverter is having issues, so we need to
troubleshoot that. Our new 12967 rig worked great though.

for those who we didn't get a chance to talk to, we switched from using our old
8ft dish on 1296 to using the 18ft WR66 radar dish that's been dormant for over
a decade now. We were running 300W into it and it has about 35dB gain. The front
end noise figure is well under 1dB (we've been using it for radioastronomy so we
needed that). It was really cool hearing and talking to stations that have
traditionally been kind of hard for us. Sadly there were a bunch of stations we
missed due to the poor VHF conditions which made it hard to coordinate contacts
(apologies to WB2JAY who we tried really hard to find again and lost). Hopefully
we'll get to talk to more people in January. Also very much down to make a few
EME contacts with people if we get our software pulled together for it:)

73,
Daniel, KC1EPN