[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N1PRW Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, as@shawsheen.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N1PRW Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 21:25:02 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EMA

    6:   8     4
    2:   5     4
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  13     8  Total Score = 104

QRP operation in Andover, Mass at 130' ASL. Weather was overcast and 62F.
- Yaesu FT-817ND
- 12V gel-cell batteries
- 1/2 λ 6m aluminum dipole, homemade
- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna
- Laptop running Ubuntu Linux and WSJT-X plus CAT and data cables and USB sound
port adapter

QRP kit at home with antennas mounted on the deck. Unable to participate
Saturday. All effort on Sunday.

My first time ever using FT8. After the last contest I ordered some cables and
adapters for the FT-817. I figured out how to put them together Sunday and made
FT8 happen on the FT-817ND.

FT8 was interesting and maybe addicting. Once I had the software and the radio
correctly configured the operation flow seemed to make sense. My first FT8 log
ever was during the contest. The FT8 workflow of at least 90 seconds for a
smooth un-flubbed QSO shows that this might be an inefficient way to work a band
enhancement.

Circumstances prevented an outdoor/hilltop operation. For the best anyway as I
am experimenting with how I might make a portable QRP FT8 station feasible.

FT8 is sure hard on batteries. Running FSK drives the FT-817 at a nearly 50%
duty cycle while calling CQ. I ground down a 12V gel cell in under four hours,
then ground down the next one even faster. I get a bit worried that I'm pushing
the FT-817 finals too hard.

To make FT8 feasible for portable use I need a laptop that will last eight hours
on a charge and at least two gel cell batteries. That's going to be a much
heavier station.

I spun around the dial a few times and heard virtually no phone CQs, other than
W2SZ coming in strong. With no enhancements happening I'm not sure I'd have made
more than a couple of Qs at all from my QTH if I'd stayed on phone.

FT8 was fun, if passive. I watched the Pats game while ticking QSOs on the
screen and adjusting bands. I'm not sure what to think of this yet. There's a
certain thrill in working a pileup that FT8 cannot provide.

73, Alexander N1PRW