[3830] ARRL June VHF N4OGW SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rt_clay@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N4OGW SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 14:16:10 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: N4OGW
Operator(s): N4OGW
Station: N4OGW

Class: SO 3Band LP
QTH: EM53

    6:  355   104
    2:   15    11
  222:
  432:    2     2
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  372   117  Total Score = 43,758

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Pretty much everything that could go wrong happened to me this weekend! First,
the amp I ordered for 432 did not arrive in time for the contest. The 432
antenna I put up just before the contest did not work due to a feedline issue. I
was able to fix this Sunday morning, but on Sunday it seemed everyone was on 6m.
Saturday evening we had thunderstorms so I was off for a few hours. Saturday my
shack computer developed a weird intermittent hardware problem- it would
randomly shut down and then hang on rebooting; sometimes after waiting a few
hours the problem would go away and it would restart. Finally on Saturday
evening at 9 pm it crashed and would not restart at all so I gave up for the
day. Sunday I was not planning on operating, so I went up the tower to fix the
432 feedline and then took the computer apart. It turned out that a PCI serial
card was causing the problem ?! For some reason the card was conflicting with
the motherboard I had upgraded a few months ago.

I ended up with just 27 qso's on Saturday. Sunday 6m was much better and I had a
working 432 antenna but just 10 W at the end of 200 feet of feedline. On 6m my
mode breakdown was 234 USB, 91 FT8, 43 CW (more than 355 because of dupes). As
others have noted the FT8 contest mode issue was a real pain. I tried to do
everything with one computer, which did not work well. I had some weird sound
card issues with voice message recordings where after switching from WSJTX,
voice recordings would play at the wrong sample rate. Next time it looks like a
separate computer is required for digital modes.

Missed my own grid again on all bands :(

Station:

2x K3, internal 2m transverter, 2m KLM brick, older DEMI 432 transverter.
6M: 5 elements at 75 ft 2M: 9 elements at 105 feet  432: 18 elements at 100
feet.

73
Tor N4OGW