[3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 01:35:28 +0000
                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z May 16

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Muskegon State Park
Operating Time (hrs): 0:50

Total:  23  Mults = 23  Total Score = 529

Club: Michigan QRP Club

Comments:

Nice day for a trip to a park.  Muskegon State Park is a waterfront park at the
end of the Muskegon River, abutting Muskegon Lake and Lake Michigan.
Temperature was aborout 26 °C, very light wind, and brilliant sunshine.  My
supplications to Ra, the Egyptian god of the sun, seemed to be working today,
because ambient noise was very low, and propagation was ideal for 40 meters and
20 meters.  Only one minor problem was an operator error - I chose a place too
close to a tree, and my antenna touched a branch of it when it was erected.
This didn't bother 40 or 20 meter operation, but when I switche to 30 meters to
catch a few "Parks On The Air" chasers, the SWR would vary wildly from
near 1.0 to over 4.0.  The KX2 handled the change in SWR, with seemingly no
problem being heard, but it gave the operator some grief.  I only stayed on 30
meters for a few minutes,  And, toward the end of the CWT hour, the sun had
moved around and was warming the rig to such and extent that it was shutting
down to less than 5 watts maximu, so I shut down rather than risking overheating
the finals.

Thanks to all who pulled my "Giant Signal from my 'Mighty QRP rig to an
antenna proven, again, to be a few dB better than a dummy load buried 6 feet
underground.'"  Several folks gave me a 579 or greater during the CWT, even
though signal report is not necessary.  A highlight of the day was when I
snagged N3JT, CW OP #1...  This always "makes my day" when I work Jim!