[3830] WPX SSB AC1U(N1UR) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB AC1U(N1UR) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 22:55:40 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AC1U
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   20: 1769
   15:  116
   10:    0

Those have to be some of the worst conditions that I have
experienced in a contest.  40M on Saturday and Sunday at
the 0400 - 0700Z hour were absolutely terrible.  This is
often a critical time to log 40M EU Qs from here.  Nothing.

20M did not open even slightly here until 1030Z and not
truly open to EU until 1200Z (almost an hour after official
sunrise).  That is the latest I ever remember seeing EU open
on 20M.  15M sounded like 10M summertime.  No EU, no Pac.
And even SA and Carib were very spotty.  And no W6/7 on 15M.

I heard no station from Asia.  Not a peep.  No JA, no BY,
no YB.  Nothing.  I did work some western UA9s.

Keeping the 3 pointers going on 20/15 and the 4/6 pointers
going on 40 and 80 was the priority.  I ended up with a 2.7
point avergage - which is the lowest I have had doinng HP
in this contest yet still looks to have been very good
compared to scores I have seen posted.

The activity in both EU and NA is getting better by the
year in this contest.  SA and PAC activity seems very
light unfortunately.  Can't speak to JA activity as I
heard no one - but I am sure they were out there.

Looking at the spotting today its always amazing to me,
as I see the growing % of assisted operators, that I can
run for over 30 minutes - generating 50 - 70 Qs and not
receive a spot - with an AC1U call in WPX.  Nice to see
so many people still tuning around.  The assisted
community should really insist that those who take also
need to give.  Seems very wierd to me that only some people
spot and so many people harvest.

Next up is WPX CW.  Summer conditions and low SFI make for
a not great set up for this far north but I still enjoy
the WPX CW contest.  March is excellent - May not so much.
Flipping this contest every other year would be very interesting.
The May contest is totally different than the March contest.