Re: [3830] Commonwealth G4PIQ SO-Open12 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [3830] Commonwealth G4PIQ SO-Open12 HP
From: Andy Cook via 3830 <3830@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 12:41:17 +0000 (GMT)
Having trouble posting comments..
12 hours – Unassisted – Mother’s Day Domestic Harmony section...
BAND   QSO DUP DXC  HQ  POINTS BONUS   AVG
   80    37   0  10  10     180   500 18.38
   40    69   0  23  13     340  1020 19.71
   20    74   1  26  13     370  1120 20.14
   15     8   0   4   4      40   160 25.00
   10     2   0   0   2      10    40 25.00
TOTAL   190   1  63  42     940  2840 19.89
            TOTAL SCORE : 3 780
This means I operated as and when I could fit it around other stuff which
needed doing in
the house – rather than optimising the operating time to get the best score. I
missed the
LP ZL opening on 80m because getting up that early this morning would not have
led to
domestic harmony, and also had to be out during the prime early evening slot
1710 – 2020.
I operated just short of 11 hours in the end.
I thought that conditions were quite poor with the bands closing early and
quite a lot
of static making for several repeats. 40m was certainly good early – I was very
surprised
to have VE7CC call me LP in the afternoon. 15m very poor – in the last hour I
was hearing
a number of new bonuses who couldn’t hear me. Luckily VK6LW came good in the
last 30
seconds.
The home station here is not very effective – I heard about 15 additional
bonuses who just
CQed in my face – need better antennas. I had SO2R (but limited because of a
broken amp
for the second radio) for about 2/3 of the event - I was building antenna
switching during
the contest! No triplexer – so the second HF antenna was just a 160/40 dipole.
But – overall – surprisingly good fun as ever given the hard work – BERU is
truly unique.
Many thanks for all the QSOs and especially to those who tried moving for me –
even if it
didn’t work.
Rig : 2 x K3 + 1 x Ten Tec Titan
Ant : 80m : Inv-V dipole @ 18m