[3830] ARRL 160 W2GD M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W2GD M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 12:36:54 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): K2SG K2TW KE2D KU2C KI4KWR N2HM N2NC N2OO W2GD W2NO W2OB W2RQ
Station: W2GD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: SNJ - FM29

Total:  QSOs = 1662  Sections = 80  Countries = 53  Total Score = 547,029

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3 x 3
OM2000HF  1250 watts
Win-Test Logging Software
2 element vertical Yagi @ 240' with NE, West and Omni direction options
Beverage antennas NE, E, S, SW, W, NW, plus HI-Z Four Vertical System

As has been our practice we use the ARRL 160 event to iron out whatever
problems
might be lurking at this location at the end of "Murphy Drive".  The
goal is to have everything completely ready for the CQ160 CW two months from
now.

We had two work parties before CQWW CW, the first one saw installation of the
TX array on the 300 foot tower, and the second to complete cabling of the seven
RX antennas. There never seems to be enough time at this point in Contest Season
and with ARRL 160 just six days after CQWW CW, its a tight squeeze on the
schedules for many of us.

On the day of the contest we spent far more time than normal diagnosing coax
cable faults and repairing beverages downed by trees.  Then one of our K3s came
up deaf but successful 'surgery' was completed a full five minutes before the
starting bell.

We enjoyed the best first hour of any 160 meter contest in the last 30+ years.
During the exciting first sixty minutes, we put 213 contacts in the log which
amazingly contained 25% five pointers from EU and the Carib. What a rush!  The
band was dead quiet, not a static crash to be heard. In fact over the whole
weekend we were blessed with QRN free reception.

The first night the EU peak was early and there was no enhancement at their
sunrise.  The second night a similar pattern but with some sunrise effect.  We
managed 148 five pointers night one and added 131 more night two.

Seemed to be hoards of USA participants again this year - which supported
fantastic run rates during the first eight hours - definitely a highlight of
the weekend.  The opening to the western US was never great and we never heard
a KH6, VK, ZL or JA.  Chased XO1X for several hours Sunday morning but his
signal never came put out of the noise.

We enjoyed the camaraderie you have with a large team.  K2SG, N2NC and new
comer KE2D filled the operator chairs when the core team needed a break.   As
always thanks to the owners of WYRS-FM for making this fantastic site
available to us and to the members of the SJDXA for their ongoing assistance.

On to the Stew Perry TBDC in a few weeks.

73,

John, W2GD
For the 160 TEAM