[3830] CQWW CW W3EP SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W3EP SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 18:27:10 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W3EP
Operator(s): W3EP
Station: W3EP

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: W1-CT
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:  116    14       50
   40:  206    26       74
   20:  470    25       88
   15:  317    22       78
   10:   19     8        9
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

First 5-band effort on CQ WW DX CW.  Learned a lot and had fun.
Max 900W with modest antennas:
     80m inv-v dipole at 45'
     40m inv-v dipole at 60'
     20m 4-ele at 50'
     15m 5-ele at 60'
     10m 6-ele at 75'
 Dipoles worked well on first tier of strong stations, but could not even hear
some DX that near-by contest stations were working.  Even so, I could hold a
40m run frequency and worked HS0ZAR, VK6, and others in the SW Pacific on 40m.
I thank them all for pulling out what must have been my weak signals in the US
pileups..
Ten meters opened (sort of) mid-day on both Saturday and Sunday for more than
an hour along N-S paths, but probably spent too much time checking to see if
the openings would spread and signal strengths would improve. That that did not
happen. W0AIH was strong on sporadic-E for several hours on Sunday, but that did
not seem to help the marginal openings to Central and South America from here
either. Did nab ZM4T later on Sunday, but heard no others from the Pacific on
10m.
Other notes: 15m was open to Europe only for 6 hours or so each day (9AM to 3PM
local time), while 20 opened before sunrise and stayed open until after sunset,
at least here in W1-land. 40m stayed open for 16 to 18 hours on both days,
while noise on 80m seemed much less than normal.  Some OH stations had strong
auroral notes on 20m, even though the K index was in the 1-2 range. Worked JA
only on 40m and heard JAs in the noise on 20m, but I may not have been
listening at the peak times.