[3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 13:25:06 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 22
Radios: SO2R

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I got a good start and Saturday night generally went well.  By the time I took
my first break I was 50 contacts ahead of my 2016 pace.  Sunday morning up
until around noon was also pretty good.  In most years 80 is my money band.  I
have a better antenna there and it always plays well for me.  One year I
actually had over 640 contacts there.  But this year was really different.  40
just kept producing so I stayed there.  I put up a new temporary 40 dipole and
I think it helped but I think conditions were also favorable for my part of the
country.  It seemed like there was both short and long skip.  I managed to crack
the pileup on KL7SB there on 40 on my second call, so the antenna must be doing
well.

But things went down hill fast on Sunday afternoon.  The rate plummeted and I
couldn't do much about it.  Then around 5PM local, the storms moved in, the QRN
level shot up, and I had to shut down a couple of times.  Earlier I thought it
would be no problem to get over the 1,000 barrier, but it was not to be.  I
think it's been over five years since I was able to do that.

I was among those who missed NNY.  And despite all the second radio tuning I
did, I never even came across that N6EE pileup that others wrote about.  Must
have happened during one of my breaks.

Lots of fun, despite the painful last 8 hours.  Sticking it out to the bitter
end separates the men from the boys! I guess I can't claim to be in the first
group because I QRT'd at 9 PM local to watch Poldark.  Had I stuck it out for
that last hour, my Q total might be 10 or 15 higher.

CU next year, I hope.

73, Hal