[3830] FlQP W4AN/M Multi-Op MobileCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@att.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP W4AN/M Multi-Op MobileCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 18:35:36 +0000
Florida QSO Party

Call: W4AN/M
Operator(s): W4AN
Station: W4AN/M

Class: Multi-Op MobileCW LP
QTH: 28 FL counties
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5

   40:   418    0
   20:  1121    0
   15:     0    0
   10:     0    0
--------------------
Total:  1539    0  CW Mults = 58  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 357,048

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

IC756Pro, 100W, Hustler mobile whips.  KU8E and I had planned to be QRV multi op
mobile again this year, but Jeff ended up with surgery scheduled for Monday
after the contest and had to cancel.  Ted, W8UE, from MI was coming through
Columbus on his way to do a single op mobile effort in FQP and agreed to go out
with me.  Thanks to Jeff for setting up everything for the contest in my call
and to Ted for sharing the operating and driving with me.  W4AN is the club
call of the South East Contest Club.  We didn't have a 15M resonator with us
and hadn't expect that band to open much, but Jeff tells me it was open a good
deal. Sorry we missed out on that band.  We tried to run on both 20 and 40 in
each county and 20M cooperated by being open fairly late at night.  As uaual,
there wasn't much 40M activity in the day time and most of the FL stations were
within our skip zone, so we didn't work many Fl stations.  20M was very poor to
Europe, with only a few QSOs there on Sunday and none on Saturday.  A few
Europeans were quite loud on 40.  20M had relatively short skip in the late
afternoons and also, surprisingly, on Sunday morning.  40M had shorter skip
zone after dark than during the day.  A few west coast stations came through on
40 late Saturday.  I think we worked all states except HI, AK, UT, ND, SD, and
NE.  We also worked VY2, VE9, VE2, VE3, VE4, and VE7, plus KP4, HI, HH, SP, I,
OK.  I probably left some mults out in that list.  I operated Saturday night
and Sunday morning for about 1/3 of the contest and Ted operated the remainder.

We lost 1 1/2 hours due to car trouble.  We had gone through just a few
counties when the oil light came on on my 1997 Buick LeSabre.  Put in 6 quarts
of oil to keep it going until a service station recommended going to Macclenny,
FL and AutoZone there recommended trying Butch's Auto.  Butch wasn't open on
Saturday, but was in his shop and agreed to try to get us going again.  Turned
out that the "oil sender" was shot and was itself shooting oil all
over the place.  Believe it or not, AutoZone had the part in stock!  Autozone
and Butch are the heroes who saved our trip.  I had already found out that
there were no auto rental firms in or near Macclenny and I was afraid there
might not have been motels either.  Butch said that his grandfather had been a
ham, but I believe he would have helped us anyway.  The bill was very
reasonable and it sure helped my faith in my fellow man and it seemed there
could have been some providential intervention too.  Sorry we had to cut some
counties from our planned route.

Thanks for all QSOs.  Jeff and I hope to be back next year.  73, John, K4BAI
and Ted, W8UE..