[3830] NMQP KK6MC/M Mobile Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NMQP KK6MC/M Mobile Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2017 20:06:30 +0000
New Mexico QSO Party

Call: KK6MC/M
Operator(s): KK6MC
Station: KK6MC

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: mobile in NM

   40:  208     13
   20:   87      5
----------------------------
Total:  295     18      0  Mults = 69  Total Score = 138,904

The score include 55,000 bonus points from activating 11 counties and completing
15 QSOes from each.  I worked 9 NM Counties, which is pretty good for me as a
mobile. Mobile to mobile QSOes in state can be rough. I find it hard to get
much momentum going on phone as a mobile in these contests and it is difficult
for me to run on phone, particularly under these conditions. Throw in the two
points for CW vs one for phone, and the fact that the RBN picks up CW but not
phone, and I tend to concentrate on CW. My feeling was that this was a
frustrating contest as 20M was never really open like it needs to be, but my
QSO total is about the same as last year and the point total a little higher.
20M was completely dead at 1700 local and not really open except for weak NE
stations when the contest started. The vertical in the mobile doesn’t help
when conditions are poor. I worked a handful of DX stations. No AK or HI. Forty
was pretty good most of the day, except in the middle, when it was only
mediocre.

I took a rather convoluted route this time, starting at the San Juan/Rio Arriba
County line and working east on Hwy 64 to the Colfax/Union County line, then to
Harding County and through Mora County to I-25 and home. That meant I had to
traverse large counties from one end to the other, which was OK, as I had a
driver, but still not too productive after the first hour in a county. I was in
Rio Arriba county for 2 hours and there wasn’t much on the second hour for
example.  I ended up the contest at the Bernalillo/Sandoval County line close
to home. Then I took Ginger out to a nice NM dinner at Los Cuates.

Having complained about 20M being bad, I did manage to work Dave, K1SWL, in NH
on his 3 watt rig!

Thanks to K1RO, WB8WKQ, KK4CLY, K0HNC, and N6MU for following us around and
being there when conditions were flat. Special thanks to K4BAI who had an
exchange with all of the information needed for several QSO parties included.
No need to ask for names.

As always, fun, but it seemed more frustrating than usual, but some of that may
have been due to the route I chose. - Duffey KK6MC