[3830] NCCC Sprint N6ZFO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint N6ZFO LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 04:22:32 +0000
NCCC Sprint - Mar 31

Call: N6ZFO
Operator(s): N6ZFO
Station: N6ZFO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:   5      3
   80:   6      5
   40:   9      8
   20:   3      3
   15:   0      0
Total:  23     19  Total Score = 437

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

W0BH heard me on 160m!  Good ears, Bob.

For the mechanical key night I used a key constructed, a few mins before NS,
from an aluminum beer can.  For the curious, I'll post a picture to the NS
reflector later.  I got this idea for a straight key while flying into Portland
OR many years ago, playing around with the tab on a soft drink can.
Interestingly, the cw ease and quality of this device is about as good as my
$250 Lennart-Pettersson Swedish "pump" key, won at an FOC dinner at
the Visalia IDXC a few years ago. (I was a guest of K6DDO at the FOC dinner). I
don't consume soft drinks any more, nor  beer in cans. That having been said,
many craft beers are being sold in cans now, but they are generally larger ones
not suitable for making Morse keys.  As luck would have it, when I stopped
briefly at the top of the Mayacama Mountains roadway into our county on
Tuesday, there were two perfect un-squished Bud cans discarded there.  These
Budweiser had much thinner skins than the ones I used years ago, so the key is
not as rugged as hoped, nonetheless it performed pretty well in the heat of NS
competition.

73 Bill n6zfo

Note re the Lennart-Pettersson pump keys -- from the web page:

http://www.morsex.com/srs/

"The Pettersson Keys went out of production in 2007 and our last new key
was sold in January, 2008.   This web page is left in place for historical and
reference purposes."