[3830] ARRLDX CW HI3/KC1XX SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, matt@kc1xx.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW HI3/KC1XX SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 15:25:27 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: HI3/KC1XX
Operator(s): KC1XX
Station: HI3/KC1XX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Cabarete

   80:   79    31
   40:   66    32
   20:  374    53
   15:  209    38
Total:  728   154  Total Score = 336,336

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

At this location in Cabarete, Dominican Republic, I am renting an apartment to
go Kitesurfing. It is located right on the ocean in Cabarete beach on the north
coast of the country.
Unfortunately there are many tourists that complain about everything and they
also complained about my wire dipole into a palm tree. The Dominican people
don't care but the Americans, Canadians and many EUs do.

I had to remove the dipole on Thursday evening.
I still wanted to get on the air and have some fun so I started putting
together some bamboo. I ran a wire along the bamboo from my terrace into a palm
tree at night. I loaded it like a long wire with a total length of about 60'.
During daylight, I used a simple 20 m dipole that I cut shorter for 15. It was
on my third floor terrace.
I could not match anything on 160 and I did not try 10m at all.
During the day, the weather was perfect for Kitesurfing and I made the most of
it in the ocean. So I only operated 8 hours with the bamboo stick and wire.
I apologize to all the stations that I could not copy. The noise level here was
always between S5 and S6 because of bad grounds and air conditioning units
running.
Thank you for everyone that called. I will try to fabricate a stealth antenna
for SSB.
VY-73, KC1XX