[3830] CQ WW RTTY VY2/W5AJ SO(A)SB40 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY VY2/W5AJ SO(A)SB40 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 19:56:53 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VY2/W5AJ
Operator(s): W5AJ
Station: VY2/W5AJ

Class: SO(A)SB40 QRP
QTH: VY2
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:
   40:  385      45      69    17
-----------------------------------
Total:  385      45      69    17  Total Score = 119,000

Club: Midland Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

5 watts, 4 element yagi at 145 feet, quiet location.   arrived at Ken's station
early (2am) on Thursday with my son Spencer along to help cook and vacation
together.   loaded up MMTTY into writelogv12 with no issues using the USB audio
from K3.  Cloned 2tone.  could not get transmit to work via the USB probably due
to the serial port already in use by rig control.   Had FSK cables ready in
standby and added those in to complete the operator logging setup Thursday.

Great contest, just right speed for my RTTY learning curve.  VY2 is next door
to EU and with the 145 foot tall yagi was a dream.  I'd run when possible, then
break and S&P the band, CQ then S&P.  There were some that just couldn't
hear me.  Others the QSO got out of sync and I didn't copy the "TU" or
CFM from them and had to spend time getting attention for that.

With the 5 watts and going west into Pacific (more than one hop) wasn't good.
ZL3TE tried for several minutes to pull me out and did get home call but not
VY2/ -> he must have good receive conditions as he was only station that far
that showed any hope of copy...   over the pole to UA0 or JA seemed futile.
Second night I turned in earlier rather than try to get anything into far
Pacific.  Good rates with new multi's in last two hours of test on 40.

Looking forward to next year
73 Robert W5AJ