[3830] WAE SSB IY1A(IZ3EYZ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, iz3eyz@virgilio.it
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB IY1A(IZ3EYZ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 20:51:57 +0000
WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: IY1A
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: IQ1RY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Bra
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   80:   47    41    33
   40:  329   653    70
   20:  809   921    97
   15:  290   395    80
   10:   11     0    10
-------------------------
Total: 1486  2010   716  Total Score = 2,503,136

Thanks to the ARI Bra crew (IK1SPR, IZ1LBG, IK1RQT, I1BEP) for the
location/equipment availability and allowing custom rewiring of their club
station setup to handle 2R-2PC operation. It was a last minute entry following
the fire damages at IR4X's outdoors a couple of weeks before WAE SSB.

So I was interested in seeing what could be done with a single tower and no
location advantage compared to the EU big guns. The outcome is good considering
that due to a mistake in the antenna switching system two radio operation was
pretty much marginal and it ended up being closer to a SO1R with a quick A/B
reversing. Therefore there was room to do even more, another 100/200K points
would have been possible.

Equipment used:
FT1000MKV field + PA
IC756 PRO 3 + PA
80: delta loop apex @23mt (vert. polarized)
40: 2L yagi (loaded) @26mt
20-15-10: OB16-3 @23mt (sharing the same rotator with the 40mt yagi)

Actually the station also includes a TH6 fixed AS @12mt which was meant to be
useful for power splitting and a rotary OB11-3 @15mt on a small tower which
should have provided high-bands 2R operation and 2R flexibility between 40 and
20-15-10. Unfortunately the OB11-3 was disconnected and the TH6 was hooked up
wrongly in place of the OB11-3. This was unknown even to the locals and
discovered about 10 days after the contest.

Location is downtown Bra on a flat area with some nearby hills towards AS/OC.
Some high buildings around, a 130kV power line and a railway both about 50mt
away towards West direction.