[3830] ARRL June VHF KK6MC/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jamesduffey@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KK6MC/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 03:17:56 +0000
ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: KK6MC/R
Operator(s): N5SJ KK6MC
Station: KK6MC

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH:

    6:  182    69
    2:   26    10
  222:   11     2
  432:   11     2
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  230    83  Total Score = 23,436

We covered 10 grids. N5SJ and I started out in Gallup, NM, DM55. We headed north
through the DM5Xs to overnight in Green River, Utah, In the morning we headed to
DM49 then south through the DM4Xs to finish north of Knife City, AZ in DM44,
covering 10 grids in two days.

6M was open in short bursts on Saturday, but we made a few FM QSOes on 2M and
70cm in DM56 and DM55, normally rare grids, and completed sleds on 2m - 432MHz
with W7QQ and W9RM, a theme to be continued on Sunday with some pretty long
haul QSOes.

We had problems with the side element of the Moxon coming detached and had to
be innovative in finding something to stand on to repair the antenna, a bollard
in Green River and a conveniently located rock in DM47 at Hite overlook.

We made good use of assistance, using RoverStatus and Verizon Texting to
coordinate QSOes on the higher bands. Before doing this, I did not realize the
full potential of the rover. I always wondered why I had problems working
stations on the higher bands that I should have been able to work, but
couldn't. It was a matter of knowing who is where when.

We didn't have cell coverage in DM47, but fortunately, 6 was wide open and I
hooked up with K2DRH who pinged W9RM on ON4KST for me and we completed on the
higher bands. Nice when things work out like that.

We also had an adventure driving down Cedar Mesa on the Moki Dugway (Google
it). I have now been on 3 of the top ten most dangerous highways in the USA.

It was a long drive home from DM44, but the rove was worth it. See you in the
July CQ WW VHF contest.