[3830] Rus DX N1RR(@K6ND) SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1rr@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] Rus DX N1RR(@K6ND) SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 13:53:22 +0000
Russian DX Contest

Call: N1RR
Operator(s): N1RR
Station: K6ND

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: MA

   80:    0     28       11         1
   40:    0    169       45         9
   20:   80    145       62        20
   15:   11     34       28         0
   10:    3      8        4         0
Total:   94    384      150        30  Total Score = 413,640

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Happy Birthday to PAM - K6NDV !!
I decided to try SOAB-LP from the K6ND Peanut station and my measure will be
W1UE-Dennis from @W1KM.
This was a choice to improve my WRTC Qualification points, although I am far
out of the race for a NA#1 TL. This choice is also the toughest because before
1200Z even with HP I could not work any Russian stations! Oh NO !

At 1200Z CONDX were extremely difficult for LP.
Although I worked Russian station in the first minute of the contest, I was
unable to work Russians in general due to the conditions, low antennas and LP.
  26 Russian QSOs in the first 4 hours
   2 Russian QSOs worked 16Z-20Z
   5 Russian QSOs 20Z-01Z

SO2R is limited at K6ND's Peanut Station, especially in spring and summer and
when only one good band is open to Europe and conditions are bad. No real
productive SO2R was possible there this weekend.

Although I was keeping up with my friend Dennis, W1UE @W1KM, I knew Dennis was
surely able to work more Russian QSOS (and a higher score) using the W1KM
antennas than I could at the Peanut Station. During our first QSO @ 1422Z
Dennis was 14 qsos ahead of me. (NR 063/NR 077) That's not good news.

I heard Dennis at about 22Z on 40M-CW beat me in a pile-up and he was only 5
QSOs ahead! (NR307 / NR 314) I was very happy! This gave me a burst of energy.

I had a great run (for LP) on 7014 (83 QSOs in 80 mins). (Except for DL1A and
his "unsteady VFO") As a result of this run I was expecting to be
ahead of Dennis at our next QSO.

2245Z: Will-K6ND comes down to the shack and says they are going out to have
dinner - It's Pam's birthday ! I wonder to myself "Why am I here on her
birthday ?!!?!".  It's very nice that they allow me to be here today. I
tell him: "Ok you kids, Have fun. I'll be here when you get back."
and then I tell Will about QSO 307 with Dennis at 314! He is very happy to hear
about it!

Beginning at 2315Z I tried to go to 80M-CW but I was not successful at getting
any answers to CQ's.  CN2AA in the log and back to 7014.00

15 more QSOs and then I tried 80M-CW again. I found a very nice hole at
3505.00
and began a small run (20 QSOs in 20mins) which included 5 European callers !

Dennis found me on 3505 and I gave him QSO #476.
Dennis gave me #495 !!
Congratulations DENNIS !
I was sure that I made enough QSOs to be ahead of him. Will & Pam return at

0115Z and I tell Will the story about the last two hours ..... and he sees how
unhappy I am and he says one of his favorite sayings: "It's only a
hobby!"
I reply with: "Yes, it is....but this is CONTESTING!" tm -N1RR

Not a winning weekend for the Peanut Station.
Now I know: If we use equal stations* and I add SO2R, I may have a chance to
beat Dennis.
 :)
-Charlie

K3, IC-7700,