[3830] NCCC Sprint K4BAI LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@att.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K4BAI LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 13:32:08 +0000
NCCC Sprint - Mar 4

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:   4      4
   80:  13     11
   40:  14     12
   20:   8      5
Total:  39     32  Total Score = 1,248

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

FT1000MP, 100W, TH6DXX, dipole, zepp, tee vertical.  Monday night my IBM
Thinkpad died.  I have successfully been using NA (and CT/CTWIN) for logging
for over 20 years at home.  As guest op or part of multi multis, I have used
Writelog, WinTest, N1MM and N1MM+ after the host had set them up.  I have never
lost a QSO, much a log, with these older simpler logging programs.  I did have
N1MM+ on a new Dell laptop and KU8E was kind to stop by last night and help me
set up a N1MM+ file for ARRL DX Phone this weekend.  We also set up one for
SprintNS and the idea last night was for me to see if I could log OK with N1MM+
by testing it out in NS.  It was a nightmare of a failure.  I knew going in that
I would not have computer control or keying from the computer since I have no
USB port cables for those purposes.  But, I was able to use a keyer and send
all the necessary info.  The logging was a spectacular failure.  The program
would not change bands.  All QSOs were logged on 40 meters.  I typed in 3500
and 1800 and it seemed to take them in the sense that the numbers disappeared
from the call sign window when I hit enter, but it didn't change the bands.
So, I had to keep the dupe sheet in my head. Apologies to N6ZFO and perhaps one
other that I called for the second time on a band.  After teh NS, I did check
and we had set up the contest as "All Bands."  I did get the QSOs
logged with some difficulty, but I could see that I could get that part done
and it would be easier the more of that I did.  It refused to enter the last
QSO with W1NN until about 30 minutes later when it asked me if I wanted to
enter it before exiting the program.  So, I got Hal entered on 160M.  But, when
I went back up the log to try to determine which QSOs and mults were made on
which bands (I knew the first QSO after each band change), the chronological
order of the QSOs scrambled.  All 39 QSOs were there, but in no particular
order.  I ended up having to write out numbers 1 through 39 on a piece of paper
and then putting the calls and sections by the numbers before I could figure out
how many QSOs and mults I had made on each band.  So here is the result and it
is accurate.  I tried the log we had set up for ARRL DX Phone to see if it
would change bands and it will not.  No matter what frequency I put in the
logging window, it logs it as being on 40 meters.  So, while I still plan to
enter the DX Contest part time this weekend, it appears that I will have to log
on paper.  I have some old ARRL and other paper checklists, but none of the old
ones that we used to use for DX contests.  Hope I can figure out what my score
is before the deadline and have no idea how I can submit the log.  If WA7BNM
has a manual entry page for ARRL DX, I will try to type the log after the
contest.  I must acknowledge that W4OC has kindly sent me a computer with NA
and CT loaded on it, but I have no monitor or keyboard ready to add to it, but
the real problem is that there is no room in my shack for a desktop computer and
monitor.  I must get in there with a dumpster and make room and I can't do that
today since it is a work day.  Thanks for letting me vent a bit.  Nobody's
fault but my own.  73, John, K4BAI.