[3830] SS CW WI9WI Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] SS CW WI9WI Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 00:04:17 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Winter, WI
Operating Time (hrs): 19
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

What a difference some good antennas make. I've been doing the SS CW QRP roughly
every other year since it became a category, which I believe was 1989, with some
success, winning the Central Division several times and cracking the top 10 box
a few times. My best result was 2 years ago when I ended up 4th overall, not
terribly far behind the winner. All of those years I had pretty good antennas.
In 2013 the line up was:

80: 2 phased verticals, a 260 ft dipole fed with ladder line at 65 ft, and a
dipole at 45 ft
40: 2 el Cushcraft at 100 ft, dipole at 45 ft
20: 204BA at 110 ft
20/15/10: F12 C3E at 65 ft, F12 C19 at 55 ft, A3 at 35 ft
3 shortish beverages

Due to a number of reasons I had to take down my 100 ft Rohn 45 tower last
year. For this year that left me with:

80: single vertical, dipole at 45 ft.
40: 2 phased verticals, dipole at 45 ft
20/15/10: C19 at 55 ft

The results speak for themselves. My score is down 40%, and QSOs down almost as
much. I could not run well at all. I had about 115 QSOs running (25%) where in
2013 I had almost 250 (over 33%). I had only 24 second radio QSOs (5%) because
I spent so little time running. Last year I had about 70 (10%). Late Saturday
night I was actually doing S&P on both radios, which sounds hard, but
really isn't when the rate is only about 15/hr on each radio. The mult
situation was similar. In 2013 I missed only NL which I never heard. This year
I heard KL7, KH6, VE4, VE6 and VY1, but couldn't connect. Never heard ND.
Conditions played a bit of a part, but they really weren't that bad. I also
didn't put in as much time. It was very apparent early that I wasn't going to
score well, so I lost some motivation. I blew  off 4 hours Sunday afternoon to
listen to and watch some football.

Next year I'm going to try to improve my antenna situation, though I probably
won't do QRP again for another year or two.

Thanks to everyone who was patient with my weak signal. I have never given out
so many repeats. There were really only a few times that we had to totally give
up on a QSO.

73
Jim WI9WI