[3830] NAQP RTTY WI9WI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY WI9WI Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:42:59 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Winter, WI

   80:   23    15
   40:   50    25
   20:  151    38
   15:   26    11
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  250    89  Total Score = 22,250

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC #9

Comments:

Conditions were not great in northern WI. Twenty was pretty good, but 15 was
blah, and 40 and 80 were pretty noisy. A few trips to ten revealed zero
signals.

I spent almost as much time trying to solve a couple of problems as I did
operating. I was plagued with broad band noise on all bands. I could still make
QSOs, but it was somewhat of a struggle. I don't have a battery here, so I
couldn't isolate the radio and turn all the house AC power off, but a lot of
investigation gradually revealed that it was not coming from outside the house,
it was not any appliance in the house, and it was not a power supply to any of
my radio gear. This involved a lot of antenna switching, unplugging the
refrigerator and various fans, switching power supplies, switching radios, etc.
I finally figured it was coming from either the K3, the computer, or the sound
card. It turned out to be due to a bad connector in the audio cable from the
radio to the sound card. I replaced it, and voila, the noise was gone. The
other problem was I started getting the dreaded "ERR 12V" message on
the K3 and having the 100 watt amp turn off. I figured it wasn't the circuit
breaker, so it is probably the power pins to the finals. I guess these will
have to be replaced. Running the K3 at 10 watts to my solid state amp gave me
75 watts out, so I was able to limp home.

Lots of good activity, many unfamiliar calls which is all good.

73

Jim
WI9WI