[3830] IARU W1NN SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W1NN SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 14:15:30 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    42    0       4        1
   80:   199    0      11        6
   40:   341    0      20       32
   20:   469    0      25       47
   15:   116    0      17       25
   10:    26    0       5        1
-------------------------------------
Total:  1193    0      82      112  Total Score = 642,722

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

My decision to put in a full effort in this contest was only made on Friday
morning and I had a lot of work to do to get ready.  I had to put my 80 meter
dipole back up, put up an extra 20 meter dipole, change the direction of my
small unrotatable tribander to aim it at Europe, repair the 160 antenna, and a
bunch of other projects.  Fortunately it was not raining for a change and I was
able to complete my work by 8 PM.  The good thing was that I was totally
exhausted, went to bed at 9 PM, and slept like a rock.  It’s always nice to
get a good sleep before a contest.  The bad thing was that I did not have time
to review last year’s score, always an important thing to do.

All in all, things went pretty well this year and I had no major problems.
However, my score was considerably below 2014 when my claimed score was 1,445,
184 and 824,504.  I suppose much of the difference is due to the absence of the
WRTC contacts (124 for me last year) and lower overall participation this year.
Also, 15 meters this year just didn’t seem to produce and I had 140 fewer
contacts there than in 2014.  Somehow I managed to work 10 more mults than last
year (194 vs 184 claimed).

10 was also disappointing.  I only worked one HQ station there �" ZW0HQ.
I did work a few loud five-area stations but never heard W1AW/5.  At 1747Z I
briefly heard OQ5M on 28.025 but they quickly disappeared and I never heard any
other EU stations.

I did catch W1AW/5 on five bands.  They did a great job.  OTOH, I only worked
NU1AW/7 on one band.

80 was really noisy and when I first went there I was wondering if I would even
be able to work zone 6.  That turned out not to be a problem and a lot of west
coast stations called in and I even worked three Zone 61 stations there.  The
EU HQ stations seemed to be able to hear me okay but I just couldn’t hear
most of them, so my mult there really suffered.  A beverage would have come in
handy.

I had lots of 5 band contacts but only one 6-bander - with WR1TC.  I didn’t
realize that this was K5ZD in disguise but I am not surprised.  And Randy was
operating mixed mode.

Station rundown:

Small tribander at 34 feet fixed on Europe
20 M dipole at 50 feet (for West Coast)
40 M dipole at 50 feet
80 M dipole at 60 feet
160 M dipole at 40 feet