[3830] ARRL June VHF K0BBC/R Unlimited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K0BBC@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K0BBC/R Unlimited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 04:04:20 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K0BBC/R
Operator(s): AE0EE K0BBC W0ZF
Station: K0BBC

Class: Unlimited Rover LP
QTH: SD

    6:   92    36
    2:   18     5
  222:   16     4
  432:    9     4
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  158    60  Total Score = 9,480

Club: Northern Lights Radio Society

Comments:

It was a lonely weekend, on six meters, in South Dakota.
We activated 11 Grids: DN75 DN84 DN85 DN94 DN95 EN04 EN05 EN14 EN15 EN24 EN25
We surprised a few operators when we handed out those DN grid contacts.  We
were thrilled to hand out QSOs in those rare grids.  Our goal is to hand out
all time new ones and we gave it our best shot.  We took the Jeep up to about
3700 feet to visit Capitol Rock MT in DN75.  AE0EE had quite a run on six while
up there.  While driving home to Minnesota, on Sunday, the last two hours of the
contest provided some better than average run rates on six meters.
Thank you WD0T and WB0ULX for the numerous South Dakota multipliers.  Without
them we would have has some saggy multiplier counts on 2M and above.
W0UC is the 70CM long haul QSO winner when we worked him in EN44 from the
Summit Rest Area in EN15lj
Thanks to the contest organizers. The change in the spotting rules was a big
help in the high plains.  Those who followed us along via APRS and text
messaging were able to swap much needed mults on both sides of the QSO.
I encourage more users to swap contact information before the contest so beams
can be lined up more quickly and points earned by all.  Just ask K0AWU how easy
it is to "dial-a-multiplier."  A quick text message and we lined up
and worked him on four bands.
We made some improvements to the station this year:
VHF rover rookie, Bill AE0EE, was our primary CW op and he pulled out some
tough mults in 6M and 432.  His skills as an HF contester transferred well to
the higher frequencies.
Elecraft K3 with transverters for 144, 222 and 432
TE systems amplifiers for 144, 222 and 432
Back for another year in the trenches were the 6M moxon and Directive Systems
rover yagis for 144, 222 and 432. they performed well and repair well in the
field after we had a bird strike bend an element on the 2M yagi.
Next year, we hope to add a telescoping mast and mast mounted pre-amps.
Plans are in the works to return to DN85 in June 2016.  We have a goal to hand
out rare grids to those in need and I couldn't ask for better friends than Dave
and Bill to help make this mission possible.  Such is the allure of the magic
band calling us back to Western South Dakota!  73 Matt K0BBC

 K0BBC/R's Contest Summary Report for VHF
 Created by N3FJP's VHF Contest Log
 Version 4.7  www.n3fjp.com

 Total Contacts = 135
 Total Points = 9,480

 Operating Period: 2015/06/13 19:13 - 2015/06/15 02:59

 Total Contacts by Band and Mode:

 Band       CW   Phone     Dig   Total       %
 ----       --   -----     ---   -----     ---
    6        2      90       0      92      68
    2        0      18       0      18      13
 1.25        0      16       0      16      12
   70        2       7       0       9       7
            --   -----     ---   -----     ---
 Total       4     131       0     135     100

 Total Contacts by CQ Zone:

 CQ Zone   Total     %
 -------   -----   ---
 04          104    77