[3830] 7QP AE7EU Cnty Exped SO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP AE7EU Cnty Exped SO LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 00:35:56 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: AE7EU
Operator(s): AE7EU
Station: AE7EU

Class: Cnty Exped SO LP
QTH: Lake/Harney
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:           3
   40:         126
   20:          47
   15:          36
----------------------------
Total:   0     212      0  Mults = 42  Total Score = 17,556

This pasty white boy got some sun.  QTH for the contest was the Lake/Harney
county line, a region known for sage brush, cows, and not much else.  Any trees
for antenna supports are either 10' tall or you have to bring it yourself.

I got on site around 3pm Friday, took until about 8p to get setup just before
the sun was going down.   I had a monkeyhut for shade (Basically a 12x15
quanset hut), my tent, and a card table which allowed for daytime operation,
but getting up early at 6am wasn't going to happen for me due to the
temperatures.  Main antenna support was a 3-piece 30' mast as the center
support for a 40/20 dipole, and a switch for making it an 80m vertical.  Also a
homebrew ghetto 15m moxon meant that the tuner was only used for 80m, as 40/20
were basically 50ohm.  Rig was a KX3 and an SB200, giving me about 100W of
output power on a good day.  Conditions were great on 15m, but my ghetto
antenna just wasn't high enough, didn't bring enough trees with me.

QSO count was the greatest on 40m, but the fewest multipliers, though I was
able to get out pretty far.  Late 10pm while most were hunting 40m/80m, 20m
opened up to EU for me, and I got most of my DX.  However, I was basically
open-airing it, and in the high desert after the sun goes down, it gets very
cold very fast, and I had to call it quits around 10:30-11pm.  It certainly
wasn't record breaking, but I had fun.  Next year:  Better antenna supports
that are easier to setup, and damnit I need to get on my CW practice... 5wpm
just wasn't going to cut it this time.

And some sunscreen.

Pictures will be up soon at http://dione.net/crud/7qp/